I want to get a 3D Printer for my birthday, what should I get?

I want to get a 3D Printer for my birthday, what should I get? Keep in mind I cant speed like more than $600. If a 3D printer I missed in the poll below is good let me know in the comments

I had an SD4, but I got rid of it for financial reasons, not because it wasn’t a good printer. The quality is amazing and it uses open source software. While you could get the same results on a PB Simple, you get more build volume on the SD4.

I have a Solidoodle 2, but it doesn’t seem that much has changed with their engineering methods between the 2 and 4. Just realize that they get their price point by pushing every component to 100-110% of its maximum rated value.

On paper, that may work, but in practice, you’ll never get reliable operation like that. I finally have my SD2 working really well… Because I replaced a serious portion of its original components.

I don’t know for sure if your other options are better, but I would at least shy away from Solidoodle.

DIY for nearly 400 bucks.
Search for QuadRap on G+
Use OpenBuilds profiles

For example updated version from Mauro Manco
https://plus.google.com/114285476102201750422/posts/R76Gh2Mqh6h?pid=6080820631486212690&oid=114285476102201750422

In this list it’s a toss up between the SD4 or Simple Metal… If you go with the PrintrBot make sure you wait until their new hotend design is included with the printer.
I have a PrintrBot Makers Kit but if I were to start over I’d go with something like th SD4 or build an enclosed QuadRap or Prusa i3.

Don’t even think about it. Go get the printrbot simple metal. But I would recommend getting the kit version. That way you will learn how it works in case it breaks down. Not to mention it’s cheaper. But it is a super high end printer and I’ve personally seen one and know the quality that @Brook_Drumm puts into his products.

Printrbot is quick and relyable and easy to get working… But I’ve had more fun with my RepRap i3 kit. Just get a good one! :slight_smile:
You can get a descent kit for under $500 and then get a nice E3D hotend or keep the rest for replacement parts/upgrades.

i like RepRap))