I thought I'd share my new discovery that I'm having a bit of fun

I thought I’d share my new discovery that I’m having a bit of fun with. I’m sure this is not new news but it might help others that are looking for an alternative gcode sender that works well with smoothie.

https://cnc.js.org/docs/

So far it’s pretty cool. Does anyone have an opinion on this software they’d like to share?

Do you find it works well ?

I have good luck using it. I like the easy setup of macro buttons, and the ui is more customizable and intuitive than others I have used. Only thing missing is a built in probing and autolevel Routine/UI like chilipeppr or bcnc.

I honestly don’t have an opinion yet. It looks promising. I had a job to run so I resorted to bcnc because I know it a bit better. Bcnc will stop when you tell it to. Cncjs sort of lingers for a bit before it stops. I think it’s got to empty it’s queue and I don’t have an estop connected yet.

I use it on my TinyG v8 board. Love it!

@Eclsnowman I use the built in probe tool.

@SirGeekALot but the cncjs probe cannot yet do mesh level. For cutting large sheet aluminum this is important or you can have too deep of a DOC, leading to chatter. For me mesh level is the only missing piece for cncjs.

@Eclsnowman , what host do you use that has mesh leveling, bcnc?

@Chuck_Comito both Chilipeppr (tinyg machines, or Grbl), and BCNC (Smoothieware) can do it.

BCNC was on list of hosts to try, but once I got CNC.js working I didn’t bother. @Eclsnowman it sounds like you have tried both. Outside of the mesh leveling, which do you prefer?

For UI… Cncjs, hands down. BCNC has a really dated feel as far as graphics and workflow.

But for features… BCNC has cncjs beat for now. Plus BCNC running as native compiled code, versus node.js setup… I would say it will be less likely to run into memory and performance issues.

@Eclsnowman Thanks for sharing your opinion. I just took a quick look at the github home page wiki and realized it is also a CAM tool! Have you used its CAM functionality, or do you only use it as a gcode sender?

@SirGeekALot i have only used it as a sender.