I think I'm having my first clog,

I think I’m having my first clog, after more than a month of no print. How do I go about check and fix?

Here is what I see. Temperature seems to reach 210ºC no problem. It stabilises there. After a few initial swipes, all extrusion stopped. Motors seem to be still working. I can run manual extrusion/retraction and see the gears turn, but no movement of the filament in either direction. There are some gear marks where gears bite. Then, I manually disengaged feeder gear to pull filament. I am able to pull it up quite a bit. After that, if I run extrusion/retraction, there is movement. But after running extrusion consecutively, there will reach a point where extrusion no longer advances. Same happens if I disengage feeder gear and manually pull and push. This is really the first time this happens.

This cannot be good. While trying to retract the full length manually, I broke the filament at the top of the short tube. Then I tried to use mechanic retraction. It only goes up ~5mm, exactly one default segment. (I can set different distances in the browser but it only goes this far up or down.) Even when there is a stub up from the tube, I still cannot manually pull any more length.

The interesting thing is, the hot end definitely is at temperature. I tried to use a Ø0.3mm wire through the hole, however. (I can’t quite find the hole.)

OK, I was finally able to manually pull the broken filament piece out manually - maybe poking with the wire into hot end helped, too, even though the wire didn’t go in more than 1mm. Surprisingly, the problem is in unevenness of the filament. That segment was thicker than the short tube! In other words, there is no clog - at all. Just really bad filament. (The multicolour one shipped with Ares.)

Now I’m trying to feed the remaining, seemingly good filament back into feeder but still having difficulties.

Phewf. No real difficulty in passing filament. I just forgot what I did to install filament the very first time: I had to unscrew the catheter head. All is working good now.

Glad to see you got it working. I received an extra nozzle with my original shipment. If you don’t have any extras, might want to consider this option. Just in case :slight_smile:

There are several methods of cleaning a clogged nozzle. One of which you seemed to have done already.

And yes, I have not been able to feed the filament into the hotend without removing the feeding tube portion either. Not a big deal, but a little annoying.