I have found a supplier on Aliexpress to create a bearing set for the

I have found a supplier on Aliexpress to create a bearing set for the HSP all metal gear train. I have just ordered and will report back once it arrives. I have also asked them to create set for the 3D printed gear train, so will post that when they have done so.

Awesome. Please do update when it arrives.

Are they sealed bearings?

I requested with rubber seals. But I can only confirm once they arrive.

@Morgan_Barke Can you post a link to the all metal gear train? Sorry if you already did this, I couldn’t find it in your feed.

@Curtis_Penick This is an ebay collection created by Greg Williams.
http://www.ebay.com/cln/gregbug/openrc/266571959015
I didn’t buy from ebay. I have bought most of my items via http://aliexpress.com
I am still yet to find a comprehensive post of an all metal train build.

@Morgan_Barke it looks like the eBay store referenced is out of stock for a few of the parts. It’s too bad, I was very close to purchasing. It would have been close to $100 for the parts in the collection. The more expensive this Truggy gets, the more tempted I am to just buy a Traxxis one or something.

@Curtis_Penick I got most of my HSP components via http://aliexpress.com
Yes, this project is costing more than I originally expected, but I am confident it will be worth it. If you just want to bash, then I would advise go for a traxxas or a Hobbyking version. With this project, bashing is a bi-product. Its all about collaborating on an interesting product and making genuine use of a 3D printer, being able to 3D print a replacement part, the same day, not waiting weeks for something to get back in stock. Plus being able to contribute modifications, to create a better design for all to benefit from.
This project is on the frontline of free culture and home 3D printing, so the more people involved the better. I hope you stick with it and I look forward to hearing about your build and experience. :slight_smile:

I just spent $160 buying all parts from another member of this community who could not finish the build. Most expensive free project ever, haha.

If you want a “cheap” rc car, but an off the shelf. The point of the truggy is not to save money, but to create your own printed rc. It’s a collaborative effort and an ongoing evolution.

I’m building a truggy with my son as a father son bonding project, I hope to teach him about electronics, mechanical engineering, and working towards a goal. Yes it is expensive to buy all the parts, but also teaches him the value of saving and planning.

I could have just bought him a cheaper “off the shelf” rc, but he would not value it anywhere near as much as the one we are building. And he wouldn’t learn anything either.

Hello.

Any update on the suitabillity of these bearings? I am at the stage that I need to purchase bearings to complete the build. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Due to personal commitments I have not progressed with this project. At this rate it could be another 6 months…

Turns out that the seller no longer offers these bearings as a set any longer. I just bit the bullet and ordered some high quality Japanese bearings through SKF locally.

Was expensive, but stress free.

I generally prefer cheap, with free stress… :slight_smile:

@Morgan_Barke lols. I too normally will jump through hoops to save a buck, but this project is getting a little long im the tooth. I wanted everything ready to assemble run in time for my son’s birthday (in about a month) I’m taking a week off work/study for us to hang out and “play” R/C.

I just placed an order through hobby king for a high end waterproof ESP/Motor combo and a midrange waterproof Transmitter/Receiver Combo.

The trans/receiver was way more than I wanted to initially spend, but I specifically wanted a programmable combo with adjustable throttle/speed limits so my son (only 4yrs) could safely learn to drive too.