I have disabled hotend thermal runaway (by setting the allowable temp variation to 0)

I have disabled hotend thermal runaway (by setting the allowable temp variation to 0) because I kept getting nuisance HALT errors when the temp would drop below the setpoint and not catch up in time (working on manual PID tuning). But I STILL get a HALT if the temp is below the set point for a few minutes. I have the time set to 2000 and the runaway should be disabled. Did I miss something?

very latest firmware ( edge branch ) and very latest config example file ?

@Arthur_Wolf Config file is here: https://pastebin.com/kidYV4Dy
and my current firmware file was downloaded on 2/3/2017. I’m not near the printer right now, so I can’t run the version command. I can do that if necessary later tonight. Thanks!

@Arthur_Wolf ​​ also getting the same halt in my delta. Running latest smoothieware + latest delta config file

This is getting frustrating. I updated firmware today to the currently available firmware-latest.bin. I tried a print and watched the temperature. The temp was hovering within a degree or two of the set temp, and about 10 minutes into the print, the printer stopped and the display screen went blank. I watched the temperature start to dive. Once the temp dropped a ways, I got a HALT. The error said temperature runaway on T (delta temp -76.404…). So something is stopping the printer, and then after the temperature dives, the HALT errors occurs.

How are you communicating with the board, how are you starting the files you play ?

I use Repetier-Server. The problem surfaced when I switched to a high flow fan for cooling the hotend. I ran a PID autotune, but I guess it was not able to maintain a steady temp? Swapping back to the normal hotend fan has so far avoided the problem from showing up.

The frustrating part is I would like to completely disable the watchdog (I’ll watch the printer) and let the printer continue a job even if the temp is below the setpoint. But I can’t seem to do that, it will still HALT on a thermal runaway.

Would running a print from an SD in the display be something to try for troubleshooting?

repetier-server is very very well known for not being compatible with smoothie. even if it’s not the source of this problem, you will have other problems. it’s pretty much the only host that doesn’t do what’s needed to work with smoothie, all the others work.

Thanks for the heads up. I typically don’t have trouble running prints, just every so often this thermal runaway happens. I use it because it will serve two printers rather easily. I have an image of Octoprint I have used to troubleshoot things, but I am not Linux literate enough to get it to run two printers. I might try it for a while running just the smoothie printer.