I have a question.

I have a question. Is it possible to print using Silicon or soft rubber? Even at low resolution.

Ah let me find the link

Really, have you tried it yourself?

Found one source, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:74689 there’s more too I can’t remember the links though.

Thank you very much. It looks amazing. I will search more on that.

No problem, no I haven’t tried it. I want to though.

Their website is not working by the way. I wonder where we can find such elastic filaments for printing.

Mm might search for alternative feedstock in google.

I have seen an elastic material used for printing, but it was more of a substantial material not soft like silicon.

Another option you may consider is print yourself a mould and then fill it with silicon to make your item.

I guess you only need to change the extruder head and adjust the speed and temperature thats it.

@Charisma_Urbano The same basic printer can do any kind of thermosoftening material that melts under ~320C.

Syringe-style 3D printers such as Fab@Home can print using silicone.

You might look at what they did to print icing. Basically you put something soft in a large syringe and then control air pressure to push it out. You might have to do one layer and let it harden before doing the next.

One problem with soft materials like silicone is getting it to set rapidly enough so it does not deform (flow) after is is deposited. Alternatively you could extrude a thin enough thread so that surface tension keeps it in shape. You would still need it to set enough before printing the next layer.

http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v4/n5/full/nchem.1313.html

These people printed their devices using silicone sealant…you’ll need to find somebody who can get you a copy of the paper with access to a subscription to Nature, though.

i think its not much of a how much it would cost if it prints using material X. but rather how much time do you have to put into perfecting it once you know and have the means to try it. it certainly is a terrible itch for many geeks :stuck_out_tongue:

You can let the silicone set quicker (within 5 minutes) by mixing it with a bit of water or water based paint.

The only problem then is; how to get it out of your nozzle when you’re done printing or if the setting-time runs out?

Also in this group (about 2 weeks ago) there whas a post about a new material that is flexible (very) and indistructable at the same time. Don’t expect it to be cheap and on the market for some time though…

Looks like great stuff. It’s just a bit expensive though. $62 for 500 grams.

I pay half of that for a kilogram. (Normal fillament ofcourse)