I Have a problem with a project I have a led strip with 178

I Have a problem with a project I have a led strip with 178 ws2811 ( connected to a arduino uno) I want them all to have the same brightness/color 32,0,32. then I want the led s randomly increase brightness to 64,0,64 for a short moment and fade back to 32,0,32.
I am a newbie with this kind of coding. Been looking at different Fastled sketches and examples. Can somebody help me ???
Regards

What does 32, 0, 32 or 64, 0, 64 stand for? RGB? HSV? Where is your current code (on pastebin)? Is this a one time event? Is it a recurring event?

Given that brightness was mentioned, I’m assuming those are RGB values. I threw together a quick gist that shows off one way of doing something like this - https://gist.github.com/focalintent/064d517982656d68b326

Sorry It RGB it is recurring event

Do you want your random LED’s to slowly fade in/out those values or to just change to the new value? The former takes more effort.

Yes Thank U big time. That,s more or less it. How can I make the fade from 32,0,32 to 64,0,64 as smooth as the down fade

Here’s something I put together awhile back that kind of has a bit of what you’re looking for. Maybe it can help give you some ideas for your project.

I would like them to slowly fade in and out

Thank`s Marc

Thank,s to all of U for your help I really appreciate it

Take a look at this sketch, and try just loading it with just the colors that you want. The “slow twinkle” might be what you want here. In any case, take a look. https://gist.github.com/kriegsman/5408ecd397744ba0393e

Thanks Mark . Ill have a look at it. It might solve my problem :slight_smile:

@Mark_Kriegsman

Hi Mark how can i set the colors to 32,0,32 (RGB) instead of fading to black and then just fade up to 64,0,64. and back to 32,0,32 . Regards

@Kim_Cajus Did you try out Daniel’s example above? It will not fade all the way to black.

@marmil

No but the thing that I need smooth fade both up and down, I ve been looking at different opportunities both the one Daniel sent and Mark Kriegsman and your´s, but I am kind of lost, This project was given to me by my boss so I am all new to Arduino etc, and my understanding of the code is still rather limited when it comes to color wheel fade steps functions and so on

I’ll see if I can come up with better example code, but you need to think about it in tiny, simple steps. Perhaps this helps:

Each pixel is in one of three states:
A. steady dim
B. getting brighter
C. getting dimmer again

So in addition to the ‘current color’ that is stored for each pixel, you need a separate array that also stores the ‘state’ for each pixel. Then you can write pretty simple code that does this:

When a pixel is steady dim,

• sometimes it randomly switches to getting brighter
  • otherwise, it just sits there dim ( no change)

When a pixel is getting brighter,

• if it’s at maximum brightness, then it switches to ‘getting dimmer again’
  • otherwise, increment the brightness

When a pixel is getting dimmer again,

• if it’s at minimum brightness, then it switches to ‘steady dim’
  • otherwise, decrement the brightness

This is similar to what the Color Twinkle code does. Take another look at it, and I will, too, to see if I can offer other tips.

Take a look at this brand new code that I put together to show as an example of how this might work for you: