I have a Dewalt Router on my CNC with a 1/8" "Precision Collet".

I have a Dewalt Router on my CNC with a 1/8" “Precision Collet”. Whenever I change the tool, I have to remove the nut completely and use pliers to remove the bit and collet. Anyone else have this issue, if so what is the solution?

Sounds like you put the collet in wrong. Are you pressing it straight on the nut or angling it in?

I’m sure I didn’t put the collet in wrong. I’m not even sure how that could be done. This is not a one-time thing. I have been dealing with this with every tool change. While I haven’t used this particular router before, I have a great deal of experience with both CNC Routers as well as many different traditional woodworking routers. I don’t have an issue with any other collet. The stock 1/4" collet works great I can simply loosen it and the bit drops out.

Spring collets work differently. You didn’t answer me

http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/er_collet_system.asp

I guess I’m not sure what you mean by “angling it in” The collet goes into nut and it appears to be in straight.

ok, I went to that Link. I’ll check that out. It looks like it explains what you are saying. Thanks for posting. Who knows maybe I’m doing something wrong with this “Precision” collet.

Interesting. I will have to locate the instructions that came with this collet and see if they were as good as that page you linked me to. Thanks. Looks like too much experience with regular two piece Nut/Collet setups may made me screw up.

I have a DeWalt and a quiet spindle. One has a collet that drops into the collet nut and the other clips into the nut. It sounds like this might be where your problem lies and you might be trying to put a ‘round peg’ into a ‘square hole’. What I have is a separate nut for each size collet and type that I use. Hope this helps.

My other collet is a one piece that doesn’t separate. Nut and Collet are together. The problem is that this one came as two piece and no where in the instructions does it say how to assemble it or that it should be assembled. Julius’ link above was pretty helpful and seems like it will do the trick. Of course, at this point, I may have damaged the $60 collet/nut :frowning: