I finally got some cast acrylic to try out and I am having some

I finally got some cast acrylic to try out and I am having some serious issues trying to cut it. I have no problems cutting 1/4" extruded acrylic, but I can not cut the 1/4" cast acrylic even with multiple passes, it actually looks like it is burning the acrylic, , it has blackened areas and a very ragged kerf cut, as if the acrylic is melting back upon itself. Any ideas out there on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue and a stack of acrylic that i cant cut. just burns and gets black-yellowish and smells like crap.

Sounds like you got polycarbonate … Try an engrave if it turns yellow,brown,black or any color but frosty white then it’s Polycarbonate

That appears to be what I have then. Thanks for the info Alex, time to open a dispute with paypal then. Do you have a reputable source for cast acrylic @Alex_Krause

Who did you get you materials from? And did it start anything like makrolon or Lexan on the protective sheet?

@funinthefalls ​ this is where I got my last sheet of 1/4" from and it cut and engraved nicely… Normally I order 8 packs of 1/8" inch

Cast Acrylic Sheet 0.25" Thick 12"x12" Clear ( One Sheet ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LLRK59Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HOMgzbR1Z27G4

Thanks Alex.

In my experience polycarbonate that I found from home depot is like plastic with embedded gasoline in it. It’s just catches fire so easy so I included it in my ban list of materials

It was polycarbonate, they tried to get rid of all references to pc but missed the word in one spot of the clingwrap. I took pictures and started a paypal dispute, it was not the cast acrylic I ordered and paid for. Not a total loss though, I am sure I can cut it with my OX.