I bought a super cheap aquarium pump to use for air assist.

I bought a super cheap aquarium pump to use for air assist. After feeling the flow coming out of the hose, I think I could push more air by waving my hand (read: I wasted some money). I’ve seen mention of a more industrial air pump (costs about $69 on Amazon) and I’ve also seen people using tire inflation compressors. I already have one of the latter from Harbor Freight and it is way too loud for my taste. I’m wondering if I can get away with mounting a small blower fan (e.g. squirrel cage fan for part cooling on a 3D printer) on the cutting head bracket? Is this crazy talk?

I got this one. Works fine. Now I’m trying to figure out a good fume extractor.

I’ve seen some people use small fans like on a 3D printer and swear by it. I haven’t tried it personally but it does seem to be a viable option.

If you are using an air assist head like the Light Object one I’ve found that you need at least 10 L/min flow rate to be effective.

I think @HalfNormal uses a fan. I am happy with my compressor see my blog.

@donkjr I use a BIG pump!

Ha, somebody out here uses a fan on the gantry?

@donkjr Finally found one of the old posts. Looks like @Paul_de_Groot uses a fan. Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents

Edit: This is the updated link to that old post since people are still finding this old post :slight_smile:

Ha! It looks like he just screwed a radial fan on using the mirror hold down screw. If it works, that’s great. The next comment after his uses a radial fan on a more permanent mount. However, in both cases the smoke could get up into the head and leave deposits on the lens and/or mirror. My idea for a blower fan would have the same drawbacks. When my new head/lens arrives, I think I will try using the wimpy pump I have now first (it will push smoke away from sensitive part$), and then go from there based on the performance. The pump I have is super quiet. I might try keeping it and using the blower fan mounted on the head bracket.

I think you could not use a fan, because you need a way to get fresh air from outside into it. I use a 50€ paintgun compressor that i bought on amazon.

@BEN_3D How loud is it?

It is louder then the waterpump, but not louder then my dust fan. And the complete set is louder then my 3D Printer. It is may so loudly as my clothes washing mashine.

This is my one

I had a air brush compressor but it was loud and did not put out as much air as this.

Very quiet… and this flowmeter is a nice addition:

I’m just starting out so I got an aquarium pump as well. To concentrate the air stream I screwed a 0.035" mig contact welding tip into the aquarium tubing. Haven’t tried it on the machine yet (still sorting out the exhaust) but it definitely creates an aimable jet of air.

Well, it turns out the super cheap aquarium pump kind of works! I got my bed figured out and tried my first serious cuts today on 1/8” plywood. It all worked perfectly!