I am after some help from some people how have experience with the K40

I am after some help from some people how have experience with the K40 and a smoothie upgrade. I have my K40 running well with a Marlin/RAMPs board, but it has a limit to how fast I can push it vs the power of the laser. I am looking at upgrading to a Smoothie board but haven’t deviced which one to go with. Ive already been burnt with a faulty MKS SBASE V1.3 board, so I dont, know if I want to try that again. So either a genuine smoothie (Capable of 1/32 microsteps), or a Cohesion 3D (Capable of 1/16 microsteps). Any suggestions and experiences from people?

The cohesion board is the simplest to install, it is as plug and play board.

2nd the Cohesion board, @raykholo can help you with which to get and any conversion questions :slight_smile:

I’m thinking the Cohesion 3D with the DRV8825 drivers so I can get the same 1/32 microsteps of the Genuine Smoothieboard. What drivers are you using and are you getting good results?

You can do that. The reason I do A4988 is because they don’t require active cooling. And people don’t seem to be having problems with them…
With the DRV’s you’ll need to mount a fan to actively cool them.
If you’re going all out may as well get SilentStepSticks - TMC2208 - that’s 1/256 Micrstepping!