I added a MKS TFT28 touch screen controller to my custom RepRap Cartesian printer.

I added a MKS TFT28 touch screen controller to my custom RepRap Cartesian printer.
Arduino Mega 2560 R3
Ramps 1.4 w/ removed D1 diode.
RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller w/ SD
Running Marlin-1.1.0-RC7

Issues: MKS says that it will work connected to Aux-1 (serial 0).
This was not the case, after 3days of firmware tweaks, massive forum searching, nothing. [USB uses serial 0, and I believe that this is why Aux-1 doesn’t work as D0 and D1 are serial 0].
The screen powered up and was updateable, but nothing from the printer.
So I decided to try serial 2, removed my F.G. Smart controller and used the pins 16 and 17(serial 2) and it WORKED!!! Moved it to Serial 1, after changing pins.h to move my endstops over and free up d18 and d19.
But know I am not getting anything from the printer when trying to print from the SD on the Mks tdt28.
Any help with this would be great… I don’t want to but will keep trying config mods, if I have to. thnx

I suggest opening a request with the Marlin Firmware Team on GitHub

This screen is not a part of marlin . It is a in house development of MKS . This screen is meant to work with their stm based board which works on some mishmashed firmware which again is closed source. This is why closed source is a bad idea

@ekaggrat_singh_kalsi do you know of an open source touch screen that works with Marlin and on my hardware? I am a proponent of Open Source and would rather have one. thnx

The standard ramps lcd or te glcd would work .

@ekaggrat_singh_kalsi touch screens?

as of now there are no touch screens which can hook up with the ramps. and i think touch is just a fad… the click knob is the best ui for a simple machine… alternatively use a old android phone/tablet and run a gcode app on it… that is far more cheaper than going all the way for a raspberrypi…

Guys i can confirm this screen works plug and play on the Ramps 1.4 board. Its really easy. Just install the tft on the AUX2 and get printing. I have done this to more than 4 machines already. Make sure your plug is the right way round and your ports coms speed is set to the same as your PC. Mine runs on 250000. You need to select that on the tft screen under “set” and “connect” simple and easy.

You dont even have to add or change anything in marlin. I do recommend disabling the screens in marling because they just use valuable resources.

@Hendrik_Uglymonkey_3 Did you mean Aux-1? Otherwise help me understand this as the Ramps1.4 Mega 2560 pin out for Aux2 is listed as: {Ramps with power inputs to the Left}
top row [GND, A9-D63, D40, A11-D65]
second row [5V, A5-D59, A10-D64, D44, A12-D66]

The pinout from the TfT is:
top row [NOT LISTED ON DEVICE OR WEBSITE]
bottom row [TX, RX, GND, +5V]
So I am not sure how this is plug and play?

@Jeremiah_Coley sorry i made an mistake, its AUX1, If the Ramps board is sitting in front of you with the power plugs on the left side. Make sure that the original ribbon cable that you get with the TFT is plugged in on AUX1, The red ribbon must be connected to the 5 volt line. so the red(pink) part of the ribbon must also be on the left. Thats it. Change the baud rate to what ever you set in marlin for you pc to connect and you will be up and printing. Simple and easy. I cant seem to attach a picture otherwise i would have shown you. If you have a good quality Ramps board you dont even need the 12volt power supply. Mine runs direct off of 5volt. Well i do have a separate 5 volt that enters my ramps board on VCC. So i don’t require separate 12volts.

Hi Jeremiah!

I’m facing the same issue as you… I’m trying to follow your advice of changing to serial 2 but nothing, still no communiction between the screen and the printer… Shall I do anything else besides connecting D16 and D17 to the TFT? Any Marlin setting maybe?

Thanks!
Martin.-

@Martin sorry I put that project on the back burner, I also have my printer in storage atm so not way for me to help… Hope to get it out here in the future. If I do and get it working I will upload a full description. Best of luck Martin

@Jeremiah_Coley Thanks man, don’t worry… I’ve been strugling with this damned screen for a while so I’ll continue trying to figure it out…