Hi! I've been seeing all the super awesome F1 stuff you guys have been

Hi! I’ve been seeing all the super awesome F1 stuff you guys have been making lately, and i really want to get in on it ! Anyway I wanted to ask what 3d design programs are you using? I am familiar with SKETCHUP, but i hear its not the best for 3d printing?

I’d ask where is your skill level now? From my experience, the best place to start making new models from scratch (not scanning) is TinkerCad. It is ridiculously simple, and it outputs STL beautifully.

Second after that is Sketchup. It is a phenomenal piece of software, and you can create almost anything. It is also fairly easy to learn. Unfortunately, there is no native STL support, so you will have to get a free plug-in. Also, it is very difficult to do complex 3d curves.

If you have no CAD background, I would not jump into one of the bigger packages. There is a lot to learn in 3D printing about avoiding supports and the properties of plastic. How to build for printability is a thing.

But if you are trying to redesign the cowl on the F1, you will need to go full CAD.

@Matt_Roche my skill level as far as printing is a big 0. However i have been using sketchup for about 1 1/2 years, and i’m pretty good with it. But yah your’e right its extremely hard to make 3d curves, which is why i ask whats a good program for 3d printing

Heres a photo to give you an idea of what skill level I’m at…
https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOhLsQ3Hp1BL6fa3ZmA44AF4o_UtKlpdCLQwfX1

blender plus CGCookie.com. A membership on CGcookie will allow you to make course and learn how to use the program and how to modify meshes. I just designed my RS-01 Chassis after taking one of their online course. 3 days later I had a finished car.

@brett_turnage Thanks! is it a free membership or do you have to pay?

@TeamDogoman_Rc It’s $24 a month, you can stop anytime you want.

@brett_turnage Oh so its a class

@TeamDogoman_Rc online courses or videos which are quick 8 minutes each. I took an 8 hour course of meshes, and I’m now able to use the program proficiently.

@brett_turnage What do you mean by
“CGcookie will allow you to make course and learn how to use the program and how to modify meshes”

typo… take the course…

check it out. This course in the link s a basics video and it’s for free. Trust me, you cannot go wrong, and if you don’t like they they offer 30 days money back so at worst your out $24 if you want access to all of the courses.

@brett_turnage Thanks I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

there may also be some 100% free course on this page under “beginners” at the top, but I recommend CGcookie.

best of luck!

+TeamDogoman Rc I’m an avid Blender user, it’s an awesome mesh modelling tool. It’s likely your best bet if what you want to do is modify STL files designed by others.

However, If you are looking to pick up CAD and make your own designs, you are way better off grabbing a parametric modeller which is what you should really be using for engineering stuff. I use Fusion 360 which to date I’m loving and it’s free of cost!

@Andre_Roy you know you can also download a 3 year subscription to AutoCAd, Invetor fusion, and 3ders among other from AutoCad. I have them all. Just do say you’re a student.

Sketch-up is a parameteric modeller, it’s just basic. Fusion 360 is professional level (without pro-level license fees).

I have fusion as well.

@Andre_Roy Ok than Blender is not for me. My biggest interest is to make my own designs. Theres just something about designing something yourself and being able to say I DESIGNED AND MADE THIS MY SELF. Its just awesome

So Fusion 360 is a CAD program ?

Ok I will look into Fusion 360 some more…