Hi guys, would love your advice on what lens to use when cutting cardstock.

Hi guys, would love your advice on what lens to use when cutting cardstock.

Got the K40 up and running with Don’s help fixing the y-axis sensor (thanks again!) - I’ve been cutting somewhat simple designs into 100lb cover cardstock - I uploaded a stock picture for a rough idea of the type of design I’m cutting.

Currently, I’m using:

• stock 50mm lens
  • upgraded dust collector exhaust
  • air assist
  • Settings: 12ma at 40mm/second speed

It is cutting through well, but does leave a fair amount of charring on the backside - increasing speed and power result in the cut getting a little too wide and sloppy.

Would a different focal length lens help when cutting paper to more tightly focus the power? Thanks!

What kind of bed do you have?

I built a makeshift “nail” bed using 2.5" screws, so there isn’t any flashback from that - sorry, I should have clarified, it is more charring from the top side (laser side) of the paper.

Not sure if there a preferred focal length. Have you tried going faster and multiple passes?

I cut cardstock at 50mm/s using 5mA, but that is on a 60W machine. But I think you should be able to lower the mA setting quite a bit. I would try slowly lowering it by 1mA at a time to see if that helps. Also try going a little faster.