Hi all, I'm converting a 3rd gen FSL hobby laser to use Smoothie.

Hi all, I’m converting a 3rd gen FSL hobby laser to use Smoothie. Motion is working fine (well, I haven’t hooked up the limit switches yet) but I can’t get the laser to fire from software. The jymydy PSU has a L (active low, I think) wire which the original controller utilized (by process of elimination it must be this wire); I’ve hooked it up to the + pin on 2.4. laser_module_enable is true and I’ve tried laser_module_pwm_pin 2.4 and 2.4!^ … regardless, with a DMM attached to pin 2.4 and a cutting job running, there’s no action on pin 2.4. The laser fires using the test button, and I can switch back to the original controller and it works, so it sounds like a configuration issue. Any ideas?

You might find out what you need here, I think that the K40 and FSL have some similarities.

Post a picture of the LPS connectors. I do not know if its the same as a K40.

BTW I don’t think you want the +pin on 2.4 (if you are using the green connector) I think that is not the MOSFETS drain, its the DC supply. If I recall the drain is on the - pin.

Try and grnd the LP:S’s L and see if that fires the laser if so it is grnd true. If its the same as the K40 supply it needs an open drain connection.

If I recall you also don’t need the !^ using the output connector.

Here is how I did it…

@Ben_Delarre did a conversion. I’m told it was similar enough to the k40, but there were differences.

Don, When I touch L to ground, the laser fires. I wired L now 2.5’s minus/gnd connector. With the config file’s pwm output pin set to 2.5!^, the laser fires continuously and never stops. With it set to just 2.5, the laser never fires. It sure doesn’t seem like there is a PWM output on either of these pins. @#($(@# This is via the laser test button and trying to cut a question mark SVG I found via Google.

@Peter_Vieth why are you wired to 2.5, did you check the post I linked? You should be using the 2.4??
Please post a picture of how your are wired…

Hi Don, I’ve tried both 2.4 and 2.5. Just wanted to make sure in case I’d blown up the FET on 2.4 or something. Thanks for your assistance!
missing/deleted image from Google+

Are there any settings in the Smoothie web UI that might might make the laser not fire? The laser cutter guide doesn’t really explain those and I just went through them quickly.

Just to rule out any Laserweb issues… do you have an LCD panel attached to your SW board? If so, do a Test Fire from the LCD Menus

Kelly, I do not have an LCD panel attached. I wouldn’t be opposed to getting one though. I have a LulzBot Taz 5 and the panel is pretty useful. Any recommendations?

@Peter_Vieth lets look at the configuration file can you post it. Also can you post a photo of the actual wiring coming from the smoothie to LPS?

Configuration file as requested: https://pastebin.com/3nDpBpS6

…and photos https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArD0suVV0QrRirx2T1zk57W1uHFe6A

@Peter_Vieth disable all modules in your config file that you are not using for laser like temp, fan etc. I don’t see a conflict so that may not be a problem but just to be safe.

Ok, commented out everything about fans, extruders, etc. Still no go. I tried another Mac, this time with LaserWeb4. Also no go. Is there some debug log on the Smoothie itself? Additionally, in LaserWeb, in the control tab, when I jog there is a prompt that the machine has been jogged but when I click LaserTest, the UI doesn’t echo back anything. Not sure if that’s normal or not. Firmware version ok? LaserWeb reports edge-9399ed7
http://smoothieware.org/currentcontrol

@Peter_Vieth Many have this working so there is something we are missing.

1.) Do you have a scope? If so can you look at the “L” signal and verify then post what is there?

2.) Do you have a DVM? Put the meter on a scale that will read 0-5V and connect from “L” to gnd. Then send the machine Gcodes with various S values in 10% increments and you should see the average voltage change on “L”, such as.
100% = 5 vdc
50% = 2.5
10% = .5

These values won’t be exact but they should be in the ball park.

Thanks again Don. I have a scope and DVM. Will try this when I get home tonight.

@Peter_Vieth ok with the scope you can just send Gcodes and monitor “L” for change in DF.

When I turn the machine on, L goes high. It then stays high no matter what I do.

@Peter_Vieth what Gcodes did you send and how?

I used Pronterface. g0 x0 y0, then g1 x100 y0 s100, so on. Also verified the laser module is enabled and the pin settings are right by sending @config-get laser_module_pwm_pin etc