Hey Guys, Have been working on making detachable flexible beds with spring steel.

Hey Guys, Have been working on making detachable flexible beds with spring steel. After testing in house for a month with satisfactory results, I would like to get feed back from the community. The sheets I have made are in two sizes for now, 220 X 220 mm and 300 X 300 mm. Currently would need to use binder clips to hold the spring steel down and can use painters tape or PEI Sheets on top. I am giving these at manufcaturing cost.

The sheet is powder coated in matt black to avoid rusting. The price is 300 Indian Rupees or 4.5 USD

The advantages that I have seen:

1. Prints come off super easy
  2. Painters tape on the plate has not been replaced for over a month
  3. No use of sharp Scrappers.

PM me on my number if interested : +91 8056138027

Currently working on high temperature magnets. If anyone interested in working with me on this do let me know.

Price?

The price is 300 Indian rupees which come to around 4.5 USD

Are you using it with a standard heated bed? How do you guarantee flatness when the sheet is flexible, which is not what you want or need. What machine are you testing it on?

@MidnightVisions I have tested it on wanhoa I3 which has a heated bed. The Spring steel usually maintains its flatness after being bent. I use binder clips to hold it in place for now, once a suitable magnetic sheet is developed, the magnet will ensure that it is held down evenly.

I have tested this for a month with quite a bit of bending. The parts snap of easily.

Spring steel is known to take a large amount of stress without deflectling.

Apart from testing it myself there is no other way I know off to guarantee flatness. I do not own a guage yet. A youtube video maybe ?
Let me know if there is any method that am missing out.

Just add high temperature magnets and u are good to go . I ordered a few spring steel pieces and the only problem I faced was that edges were bent when the idiot cut them .ther is no way that can be straighted !

@ekaggrat_singh_kalsi Currently looking into High temperature magnets, I am hoping to test it out on as many different types of machines as possible.

A few people asked me for a video as well, attached one here.
missing/deleted image from Google+

Free shipping to the US?

I would be interested in trying 2 or 3 of the 220 size

@Kevin_Danger_Powers I wish I could, I cannot afford it now. Especially for the price am giving it at. Do you think Ebay or Amazon ship for low prices ?

@Tim_Sailer Let me know where your from ?. I live in India. You could email me at hussainsail2002@gmail.com

@Hussain_Bhavnagarwal if you want I can send you over some .

@Hussain_Bhavnagarwal Spring steel, means it moves and vibrates under movement and clamping. It also it pushing the limits of the I3 heating element protection, which is a solder resist, which was never untended to stop short circuits, but only prevents shorts by the coating over the heating elements. I use a high heat glass to replace you spring steel, as it also prevents these issues.

I’d be interested in seeing how a Buildtak surface holds up to the bending.
Also, I’m betting you never actually have to bend it anywhere near as far as shown in the photo in actual use.

@ekaggrat_singh_kalsi You mean magnets ? Yes please , finding it hard to get a supplier for high temperature magnets here in India.

@MidnightVisions The binder clips have proven to be quite reliable so far. The sheet needs to be flat while putting on the clips, what I do is put the clips on one end and then press the plate down with one hand and put the clips on the other side. This will ensure the flatness.

@Christopher_Gaul There are many print types to consider to understand the problem. Let me explain.

Case 1: If the X and Y foot print is large, any build surface that is slightly flexible will work , as the corners of your print will pop off immediately and then getting the part off is much easier

Case 2: If you have a small X and Y foot print but the Z height is longer. In this case you can simply use your hand to remove the print as the moment force created will be enough to pop the part off.

Case 3: If your X , Y and Z foot print is small. This is the hardest case and this where I have struggled the most. The Build platform needs to be able to bend a considerable amount to get the print off.

I could probably take a video of the last case and demonstarte to you.

why “high temp magnetets” ? normal neodym magnets last a few hundred degres I use those on my oven (180C+) They ar chep and 4 to 8 on the side of the heater PCB should be enough

@Este_ban_S most neodymium magnets handle upto 80 deg C.