Hey fellows, trying to get OTA running on an EDP8266 (ESP-12).

esp8266
gplus
(Michael Weber) #1

Hey fellows, trying to get OTA running on an EDP8266 (ESP-12).
Uploading the BasicOTA sketch works fine. As well as I can run my ESP on a powerbank and pink it using it’s ip 192.168.1.57. But I cannot see this IP adress in the ArduinoIDE.
Is there a way I can manually add the IP adress?

Installed Python 2.7.15 as mentioned here:
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-ota-updates-with-arduino-ide-over-the-air/

Any ideas?

(Mano Biletsky (Open MAKER)) #2

I recently tried this too. In my case i had to start the esp8266, then when it was connected, restart the arduino IDE. Then it will show up.

(Michael Weber) #3

But how do Iconnect it to the IDE OTA? It’s connected to wifi few seconds after I power it up and it also responds to ping then. But after that I restart the IDE and still can’t see the IP in port settings :frowning:

(Michael Weber) #4

Just rechecked. Turned on the ESP, waitet for several minutes to make sure it’s up and running, started the ArduinoIDE and again: can’t select “port” under tools. It’s gray and not selectable (as long as thee is nothing serial connected).

(Mano Biletsky (Open MAKER)) #5

Wat version of the IDE are you using?

(Michael Weber) #6

Using ArduinoIDE v1.8.8

(Mano Biletsky (Open MAKER)) #7

Hmm. That is what i’m using too. And allthough i wasn’t successful with uploading the sketch, i did see the esp showing up.

Did you have a look at the serial monitor during startup of the esp? It should give you some info on what is happening.