Hey Alex Nieto ,  I split up the mid rib so it'll print on

Hey @Alex_Nieto , I split up the mid rib so it’ll print on a 20cmx20cm sized build plate. Unfortunately, the cut has to be directly opposite the wing spar mount (that cylinder extrusion you see) to fit on that plate in 2 parts. This will complicate printing and require a raft I think.

Well, that could be printed with support, sure, and super easy with HIPS+PLA, but for people with a single extruder might be hard to do. Any slicing tool can generate a support structure, but it’s going to be so short that I think it’s going to be hard to remove.

Anyway, send me the file and I’ll try to print it. That’s the best way to test it :wink:

Anyway, this piece can always be sliced in three parts, so the joint won’t be at the spar mount.

http://tinyurl.com/ppuyfd4 <- zip files with updated split mid ribs.

Let me know how these go. If it’s worthwhile, I’ll do the centre rib next.

Great, thanks :D.
Today I can’t do it, but tomorrow I’ll try.

You doing a test print is actually really helpful :).

Ok, as I expected supported joint is not the best option…, I could post some photos, but so many things went wrong with that print that it’s a shame to share. Still I could see that it just won’t work for single extruders.

But one thing I think you didn’t take into consideration, most of the times you need to print a large piece on a 20x20 bed you use the diagonal to use the maximum length possible, so the piece could be split at the next hole, I’m taking care of that and we’ll see how it goes.