Here's some progress on the updated print head.

gplus
(Erik Scott) #1

Here’s some progress on the updated print head. I tried to maintain compatibility with the standard V4 carriage as much as possible, but I think some angles got messed up somewhere and it’s hard to track down.

In any case, the big advantage of this is the clamp-mount for the hotend. That’s the theory, at least. I’m finding it very hard to squeeze everything in to that space, and I’m worried the clamp-piece might be a bit weak. Any thoughts?

(Daniel F) #2

You could abandon the countersink to make the clamp stronger and use longer screws. I built a similar part in abs for my quadrap to fix the e3dv6 hotend, printed with 70% infill it proved to be strong enough.

(Erik Scott) #3

The counterbore on the angled side is necessary to avoid clipping the centrifugal blower what will be sitting there. But yes, the other one could be abandoned.

(Daniel F) #4

Didn’t think about that, you’re right. What size of screws do you use? I went with M3 because they are easily available and not too small to handle, but you could also use m2 or m2.5 to get smaller heads.

(Erik Scott) #5

M3. I really don’t want to go any smaller. Right now I’m going to use a button-head in the deeper counterbore so nothing sticks out too far. The other one can be whatever you want, but I’ve left room for a washer to help distribute forces, though I doubt it will make much difference.

(Eric Lien) #6

Love it. I couldn’t ever get that part figured out myself. Glad some others are doing CAD work now. I got kinda burnt out between HercuLien and the Eustathios revs.

Great job.

(Isaac Arciaga) #7

I’ve done something similar for 3 different versions of the carriage to accommodate an E3D V6, Pico and Hexagon hotends using brass threaded inserts from McMaster. http://www.mcmaster.com/#94510a030/=xix9m9
They have worked well for me with previous projects.

(Erik Scott) #8

Wow! I like that a lot! I wish I had spoken to you before I started working on this. Those brass-inserts are brilliant! I will have to keep them in mind for future projects.

I had considered creating a clamp angled similar to what you have there. However, I was concerned there would be issues with the screws being non-parallel. I wanted the ability of use the screws to truly draw and press the hotend into place. With your setup, the hotend must already be seated.

My carriage is currently printing, I will report back when it’s done. For now, here are some pics of the CAD model: http://imgur.com/a/utCyT

(Eric Lien) #9

@Isaac_Arciaga really nice.

(Eric Lien) #10

I started a while ago for making a Chimera version. I never got very far. Anyone want to take a stab at finishing it (or to be more honest… starting on it.)?

(Erik Scott) #11

Looks like a good start. I may have a go at it at some point. Even if someone ends up getting to it before me, I’ll inevitably end up re-cadding and changing things about it. Thanks for sharing!