Hello folks. I've been hitting the edges of the capabilities of the 3 big

Hello folks. I’ve been hitting the edges of the capabilities of the 3 big slicers recently while testing the Kraken and this has caused me to start thinking about what new features or improvements to existing features would be on my wish list. So, I thought it might be interesting to see what other people want too, hence this poll. I’ll start the ball rolling with my wish list, +1 the comments below if you’d like to see it in your slicer. Please add your own, try to keep them brief, 1 feature per comment and within the realms of the achievable with current tech please. If this proves popular I’ll ensure the developers for slic3r and cura get a summary, no point with Kisslicer as Jonathan is AWOL.

Snap away supports that actually Snap away.

Rafts that peel off the print without leaving it looking like it’s been mauled by a bear.

Inbuilt configuration and calibration stls.
These could be used along with reference photos to dial in your slicer settings.

How about a combined design program and slicer so no more errors due to a slicer not liking certain files.

Variable infill density from perimeters inwards eg, 50% at the perimeters, graduating to 0% 10mm from the perimeter.

Multi extruder support allowing for sparse internal infill with 1 extruder and solid (top and bottom) infill with another.

Priming of extruders in infill.

Gcode Configuring steps/mm and PID settings for each extruder on tool change as marlin doesn’t support multi extruder steps/mm or PID values.

Expose current type of extruding/moving and switching between them to insert custom G-code. For example instead of a number of settings for supporting bridges “bridge-on”/“bridge-off” events can be triggered. Custom G-code altering the current flow rate/extruding speed/anything_else can be inserted on that events. we may have perimeter-on, perimeter-off, infill-on, infill-off etc. And we can do what ever we want - switch current extruder, change flow rate, change move speed. Anything what slicers currently do under the hood.

Simplify3D Creator http://www.simplify3d.com/, can do much of that. You just have to create multiply processes. I use it with much joy on my Prusa i2 Dual x-carriage missing/deleted image from Google+ . Support is really easy to remove or use from extruder 2, you can use custom tool chance g-codes. I only miss 3 things, Easiier profile management, other infill patterns and inside/outside combing.

Solid support infill for first and last layers (for dissolvable support material)
Using pva as support material allow a plain surface for overhang layers

@Christian_Filippi Slic3r already does that through the “interface” options in the support menu.

I only really use Slic3r, but I’d like a gcode viewer. I sometimes find myself iterating over configurations to find a good slice, and having to export the gcode and put it in a viewer is a pain.

@Mark_Hanford I had the same issue! I have a soloution for you too :slight_smile:

Get Repetier host… It uses slic3r, and you can update slic3r pretty easily, and it has STL positioning, plate viewer and GCode viewer (with a nice editor featuring for eg. highlights the path that corresponds to the gcode segment you’ve selected in the editor)

Highly recommended… I usually use Kisslicer for slicing because it handles thin wall segments the best (IMO) but for those parts where I NEED a brim, slic3r is the next best option and I only use it through repetier :wink:

Thank you @Thomas_Sanladerer .
I didn’t know. Sorry!

@Jarred_Baines Oh sure, that’s what I do, but if I could pick one thing that would mean I could abandon other tools and just use the one, it’s this.

Different flow rate settings for infill and perimeters. Actually with slic3r calibrating to obtain good dimension results in poor infill, calibrating for good infill results in wrong external dimensions.

Multiple extruder calibration seems to be more of a Marlin issue than a limitation of the slicers.

The variable infill density idea I would modify to be according to the distance from a model face, not just from a perimeter. After all, we wouldn’t want extremely sparse fill under the top layers of a large box. Either idea may be non-trivial to implement. I gave it a +1, but I think the idea needs refining.

As far as snap-away supports, @Tim_Rastall have you tried MeshMixer?