Hello all, I am a newer member.

Hello all,

I am a newer member. I’ve been cutting for about 2 weeks now. I’ll post pictures of what I’ve done. The machine has exceeded my expectations. Now i am trying to fine tune it. I have a few questions. I’ve looked through the community many many times and haven’t found a clear answer on a few things. I should note I am running Fusion 360->cncj->with an M1 board.

1. What is the best post process in Fusion 360 for cncjs? I was using the GRBL process but a few things didn’t seem right. (sorry, dont recall what those things were now). Now I’m posting with “CNC Router Parts Mach 3” process.

2. Whats the general consensus on max x and Y feedrates? I know it can go pretty fast but whats the most efficient?

Welcome!
Basically, for all of my wood and acrylic projects I run at 18,000 rpm @ 3000mm/min.

I also use f360 and I’m using a tinyg board. When I post the process, it’s pretty straight forward, just select tinyg and save the file with a .nc extension

Thanks Kevin. Thats a pretty quick feedrate.

@Nathan_Ainsworth your killing it man! Projects are amazing! What up with those blue plates? :-).
Post processor. I’m not going to be a great source as I’m not a fusion guy. @Furry_Privette is using an M1 and fusion but believe he’s still very new as well. Other guys on here use that combo, surprised not more have jumped on.

Post processor really won’t be related to CNC.js it is more about code generated for GRBL. I believe there was a way to set CNC.js to ignore unknown G-code.

I personally don’t use post processors, due to the fact I need to know what Gcode different controllers do and don’t like.

GRBL doesn’t like three things that are often in my code.

M6, most post processors will have this in them. It is a signal to the Gcode sender there is a tool change. I don’t believe CNC.js does anything with it. Others will use GRBL M6 G43.1, etc to do a tool change with probe. Check out bCNC and Chilipeppr’s use.

G64. Throws error in GRBL, not recognized, not needed.

G98 canned cycle. Not recognized by GRBL, but awesomely enough not needed. If you are doing a canned (drill) process simply remove this line, GRBL will still perform like it is there.

Post processor will be dependent on what your motion controller requires. I’m using F360 / Vcarve and a controller running Smoothie, for F360 there is a Smoothie post processor. For Vcarve I couldn’t find a good one so I took the basic grbl post processor and edited it to match how Smoothie wants to read gcode. I don’t know about CNC.js, but bCNC lets you type gcode commands one at a time to send to the CNC. This works really well to see what your motion controller does with it, then you can adapt your post processor if needed.

Great info. Thanks Brandon. I had a bunch of extra paint and needed something to do when my fingers were bleeding from the 1 million bearings I put together.

@Nathan_Ainsworth
Sure is and I finish my projects quickly as well. 4mm compression end mill cuts beautifully (@3000mm/min) every time!

@Nathan_Ainsworth If you follow the rules carefully you can get Fusion to modify a post processor for you. They are pretty good about it if you post in the proper form. They fixed the TinyG one for me.

Thank you everybody. I’m running pretty good. Except for the flex collet on my Y that snapped on Wednesday. Replaced and running again.

@Kevin_McNally How do you run at 3000mm/min when the max feedrate setting in cncjs is 2500? I am missing something here.