Heatbed - Heatspreader plate issues- I have been chasing bed leveling issues for a

Heatbed - Heatspreader plate issues-

I have been chasing bed leveling issues for a while, it was like trying to corral jello constantly… I even broke down and bought a bed leveling sensor (different adventure). I took of my heatbed and saw my spring keepers had mushroomed and fused to the springs. I had designed a collar with a hex recess to center the spring on the bed bolt. I have some thing similar on my i3 clone, liked it and figured I would put them on the the Eustathios.

I run the bed at 80-85 for PETG, these are PETG. I am surprised that they deformed like this. In engineering speak, we call this creep - ‘plastic flow under load creating permanent deformation’, meaning even under lower than design loads, the material by its nature will set into a deformed condition. Glass does this too. I think this was the source of me bed always being out of level. I think I am going to come up with metal spring keepers somehow.

I also insulated the bed by taking some 1" vinyl faced fiberglass pipe insulation tape strips and sticking it to a piece of cardboard and slipped it between the frame and the heatbed. Some packing tape prettied up the edges and keeps the fiberglass encapsulated.

The heat deflection temperature of PETG is about 70°C give or take. Heat conducted through the springs and radiated from the bed was probably enough.

ah, that is what did it then… on the Di3, I have fibre washers between things. I bet those are insulating things thermally.