Guys some help here.

Guys some help here. I’m doing some cutting on my cnc, with 1/8 straight 2 flutes I get perfect results but when I change to 1/4 bit pockets are fine but then the outside profile looses the path. I’m doing 16K rpm (D611) and a feed rate of 2500 min/mm. Motors are Nema 17 on a shapekoko style setup.

Are you climb, or conventional milling?

How deep on the passes. What are you cutting?

Cutting mdf, conventional, 1mm

Ok. Start climb milling and you should be able to take much deeper cuts in mdf. At least 3 mm. But slow down to about half that. That’s really fast. About 100ipm. Try slowing down to about 60.

I’m wondering if acceleration is your demon.

Interesting, will give it a shot

@Joe_Spanier ​ what should be the surface speed in fusion?

@Joe_Spanier
climb milling is not recommended except for light cuts, or a heavy machine.

according to who exactly? The only time conventional milling is really the recommended route is when you have heavy backlash like in an old bridge port.

Also when your profiling it really doesn’t matter. Your take a full engagement cut so the direction of the path is null.

Climb vs conventional comes into play with side milling in pockets or outside clean up.

At least in litterature from tool manufacturers, it is recommended to have an extra steady machine when doing climb milling.

When you’re cutting steel and have a cutter that can really grip your material I would totally agree with you. The tool will grip the material and slam the back lash of your screw forward.

But with woods and even aluminum with the small cutters and chip loads that most people are using you will never see issues (well unlikely) that they are taking about. You will see the benefits that climb milling gets you though (better cutter life, finish, etc)