Got the OpenRC F1 car to work with a PS4 controller.

Got the OpenRC F1 car to work with a PS4 controller.

What are you using for the TX/RX hardware? Looks like an UNO for servo control. I think I see an ESC. But don’t see anything for the TX/RX hardware on either side.

There is a USB board on top of the Arduino Uno with a Bluetooth dongle in it. The program that I am running connects the dongle with the PS4 controller because they both use Bluetooth. @Greg_Copeland

What’s the range? If it disconnects, does it stop?

I am not sure. I have not gone fer enough away to have that problem. I would say it is over 50 feet but again I am not sure. @Brook_Drumm

Bluetooth is suppose to have a range of 10 meters (I think) but I’m not sure

@Luis_Diaz That is probably a better estimate. I just drive it around outside my house and that’s about it.

@Harrison_Neyland I see something that looks like a tiny USB bluetooth dongle. Is that it?

It a tiny little black thing on the left side of the board. If that is what you are talking about then that’s it. @Greg_Copeland

Why don’t use a pi zero with usb soldered to the pads directly? It would be much smaller

I chose the Uno because I had a small amount of experience programming with Arduino but none with the Raspberry Pi. Also it was for a school project so it was faster to learn as well. @Luis_Diaz

@Harrison_Neyland cool! Anytime is a great time to learn something new :wink:

That is very true. I might go for a version 2 of the system because one of the big problems is overheating. There needs to be more internal space for airflow. @Luis_Diaz

Please post a video of it. Is there any lag in stearing and throttle?

Not really. The only lag is in the ESC because of the way it is programmed. I might make a video soon. I am waiting for parts for the differential and extra wheel to come in. @Michael_G

Really cool idea @Harrison_Neyland you don´t happen to have a video somewhere?

No not yet. I’m in college here in the US and am fine tuning the programming. I will post one soon and link it here. @Daniel_Noree

how is the controller for “fine control” vice using something more traditional (RC)? On another project I was thinking of doing this, but the fine control just was not what I needed with the Bluetooth/PS controller.

@Eric_Greenwald Yeah it wasn’t what I wanted. Speed control was fine but due to the small movement range of the joystick I couldn’t have the fine control for long corners. But I think that is just my lack of control. I have been thinking about trying it with a Racing wheel but that is a later project. Also I would try to scale down the Arduino. Maybe try a Nano or something else.