Got my first printer a few days ago and have already made working flutes.

Got my first printer a few days ago and have already made working flutes. I’m experimenting with compact coiled chambers similar to the Renaissance rackett instrument. The big one sounds halfway decent, but I know there are some things I can try with the design to make it sound better. Anyone else making instruments?

Hi, we got a Prussia i3 prototype at lab. How to start with our own coding? (Instead of using available ones)

Please give a idea where to start

Did you design this ? Look interesting able to share the file

I saw this trumpet a while back: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:772936

I’d like to mirror Teo’s response – looks interesting – is it something you can share?

very nice. I’m playing around with 3D printing and making fipples for various wind instruments. See for example

@Mikael_Fernstrom That’s really cool! I started experimenting with making fipples with wood a few years ago, but didn’t get very far before switching to other things. I was just going off of a Bart Hopkin book and observing a few recorders I had laying around. I know my design can be improved–the flue channel should probably be narrower, for instance. 3D printing makes this kind of experimentation way more easy.

Thanks for the positive response, everyone! I literally just set up a Thingiverse account and you have to wait 24 hours before posting, but the .stl file will be available here by tomorrow: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2124226

Please note, I’ll be making better versions soon. This is the first thing I ever printed and it has some drawbacks. For instance, I didn’t work out the tuning yet, and it currently sounds quite Indonesian (which is very nice). There are lots of design improvements I can make so I’ll update my Thingiverse page as I experiment.

Let me know if anyone prints it! Be sure to use a high quality setting as small flaws can totally mess up the sound.

@Dirk_Steyn Woah, that’s a great design! Mine isn’t nearly that complex.

I’ve been creating a type of percussion instrument. Every now and then you can hear a thump or bang when I toss a failed print in the trash can. :slight_smile:

@allanGEE Cool, what kind? A lamellophone, membranophone, shaker/rattler? Something else? Do you have pictures?

Sorry… my joke was too obscure. I need to drink coffee before I post. I just meant the bang in the trash can was the percussion. Although, to be honest. I keep all the fails. One of these days I’ll figure out something I can do with a bunch of plastic chunks.

@allanGEE Oh, duh. I can’t believe I didn’t get that. I have a lot of percussion ideas for 3D printing. Like printing a thin plastic membrane similar to a wooden cajon, or lamellophones like kalimbas/sansulas/tongue drums/etc.

@Stefan_Scherbik may i know what quality and fill did you print it with. I am now in the process of printing the files you share and its going to take me another 14 hours. Not sure if i print at the right quality i actually set to print at 50 micron and high fill ! Its wrapping at the base a bit i should have printed with a base support

@Teo_Jerah I would think 50 microns is way finer than needed. I don’t find that dropping below 100 micros gets me much for most prints, and 200 microns would probably be absolutely fine for this?

@Teo_Jerah I’m actually not totally sure as I have a very cheap XYZ Da Vinci Mini printer. It doesn’t specify micron fineness in its quality settings. For a ~4.5x4" (10-12 cm?) print on whatever the maximum quality setting for this printer is, it took me about six hours. And I had to use a mini drill bit to smooth out some imperfections on the labium (the 45 degree notch which sits in front of the mouthpiece). The closer to perfect that notch is, the better. So, it might be worth it to print on a higher quality setting if you have time to spare. It will likely sound better as a result.

I didn’t experience warping–sorry about that. Supports might help.

I am working on design improvements, though, and I’ll be releasing a version with two mouthpieces this weekend.

I am also very new abort the print and change to 150 micron with thick wall filling. This is what i get but i think there is porosity therefore air is running out every where. Did not really work well but it loom nice…

@Teo_Jerah sorry to heat that! Perhaps more fill would work better. Mine doesn’t do so well on the high notes but sounds OK besides that.

I like it in green!