Good lord, do you think the Angstrom Linux image on the Black could hardcode

Good lord, do you think the Angstrom Linux image on the Black could hardcode and override the IP address of the usb network interface in enough places? So far I count:

1. /etc/network/interfaces
  2. /etc/udev/rules.d/udhcpd.rules
  3. /usr/bin/g-ether-load.sh

I need to use a network other than http://192.168.7.0/30 (the netmask among those particular files are inconsistent, by the way) because I’m already using that one. It’s taken me forever to figure out why none of my changes ever worked.

For what it’s worth, methods 2 and 3 are entirely unnecessary when you’re using systemd. The only place this stuff should need to be specified is in /etc/network/interfaces. Add “auto usb0” and you’re done.

(And of course if you want to use udhcpd you need to change the address it offers, but you have to do that now anyway.)

@Koen_Kooi or @Jason_Kridner might be able to help.

systemd has nothing to do with networking

…but it has everything to do with blaming! :slight_smile:

This has nothing to do with systemd, except that there are 2 services launched by systemd here (and one udev trigger) and only one of them needs to set the ip address of the usb0 interface.

You can power the Black from barrel jack or 5v usb wallwart and it acts as a normal DHCP client on ethernet.

Is connman on the new image? It used to drive me nuts on the old BB.
Check out the bottom of this page:
http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/tutorials/products/beaglebone/wifi.html

Yeah, unfortunately it is. Connman is the only networking program I’ve come across that I dislike more than NetworkManager. I’ve never been able to figure out what problem either of those two programs were trying to solve that they didn’t actually make worse in almost every use case I have. But I’ve been a command line person for over 25 years. Maybe I just have a case of wanting these kids to stay off my LAN. :slight_smile:

I ended up putting Ubuntu 12.04 on my original BB. I thought I’d try Angstrom again but there’s still just too much missing stuff. Mercurial, for starters?

I don’t mean to be overly disparaging. The web tools provided and the board itself are great. I’ve been pushing everyone I know to ignore the raspi and look at the Black because it really is better in pretty much every way, educationally and otherwise.

(I mistyped Arch in my previous comment when I meant Angstrom. That’s corrected now.)

Other people are also reporting that, in addition to missing useful packages, “opkg upgrade” results in an unusable system.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/1der38/ubuntu_1204_on_beaglebone_black/

I think I’m switching to Ubuntu again, which also has the nice property that it actually uses the vfp registers (armhf vs. first version eabi).

I think I understand why the udev rule and the gadget setup script are bringing up the usb0 interface: connman won’t do it if you have the ethernet port connected.

But both of those should use “ifup usb0” instead of configuring the interface directly. That way everything (connman included) will configure the interface as /etc/network/interfaces specifies.

I think connman only allows use of one interface at a time.

Yep, that’s precisely the problem.

@Noah_Friedman please stop parrotting

@Noah_Friedman please stop parrotting the nonsense about softp not using vfp registers. If you had actually done research you would have known that angstrom enabled all 32 vfp registers as well as neon for everything, Ubuntu only does 16 vfp registers and only neon for some things

So, how did this get to softfp/vfp discussion?

I stand corrected.

But, Angstrom should be using /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 as the linker, because /lib/ld-linux.so.3 is recognized as the former soft-float EABI linker. They are not compatible when it comes to programs using fp.

It was the wrong linker name that mislead me.

http://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/cross-distro/2012-April/000261.html

But this is now almost entirely nothing to do with the BBB per se, so I’ll shut up about it.

again, look up what softp and hardfp actually mean, they both will use the floating point hardware, there’s no real world speed difference between the two modes.