GLCD Panel Installation Instructions

So I bought a smoothie and an LCD adapter thinking it would be easy to hook up to my reprap discount LCD. But for starters, both the models shown here:
smoothieware dot org slash rrdglcdadapter

Are not the same as the board I received stamped “Smoothieboard GLCD Shield 1.0”. There are 3 headers on it that would connect to my board but need pins installed on my board. Do I just solder pins where needed?

I just bought the board, do I need to flash the RAM to support the GLCD?

I am really confused on the whole 5v thing too. Now I regret not spending the extra on the 5v adapter (seems like it should just be built in). Can I just use a 5v wall wart?

Imported from wikidot

Are not the same as the board I received stamped “Smoothieboard GLCD Shield 1.0”. There are 3 headers on it that would connect to my board but need pins installed on my board. Do I just solder pins where needed?

Yes.

I just bought the board, do I need to flash the RAM to support the GLCD?

In Smoothie you don’t need to flash anything, you just edit the configuration file to change/enable things. See smoothieware.org/panel

I am really confused on the whole 5v thing too. Now I regret not spending the extra on the 5v adapter (seems like it should just be built in). Can I just use a 5v wall wart?

Yes, there is a 5V input next to the VBB input.

So are there any current instructions then? Or any help?

The outdated instructions has some firmware code is why I asked. Thanks.

Are you talking about a 5V input on the GLCD shield or on the board itself? If I have a USB cord plugged into a USB wall charging port, do I still need the external 5V?

PLEASE make an updated set. My shield adapter has a jumper for smoothie board 1.0 or 1.0a and my smoothieboard is a 1.0b!!! It snaps/seats onto three sets of pins do I still need to solder pins into my board for the other two legs? And if so where do I source the pins!! Do I set my jumper for 1.0a since it’s the newest listed on the shield? I would love a step by step how to on this. I bought the smoothieboard 5xc and the shield from uberclock do I need to ask them?

Also, in the config file:

panel.lcd smoothiepanel # set type of panel

What do I use for the GLCD panel? smoothiepanel or a different value?

Are you talking about a 5V input on the GLCD shield or on the board itself? If I have a USB cord plugged into a USB wall charging port, do I still need the external 5V?

On the board itself.
Whether or not you need external 5V depends on a lot of things, in particular the power of the USB wall charging port. Just try it and see if things work well or not.

PLEASE make an updated set. My shield adapter has a jumper for smoothie board 1.0 or 1.0a and my smoothieboard is a 1.0b!!!

The jumper lets you choose between 1.0, or 1.0-anything, essentially. 1.0a and 1.0b are equivalent here.

If you can’t figure this out, email me at wolf.arthur@gmail.com for support.

What do I use for the GLCD panel? smoothiepanel or a different value?

No, you use the values you can find here : http://smoothieware.org/panel#toc6

I still have absolutely no idea where all these pins go. Do they get connected or not? When I bought this shield and board I figured there had to be at least basic instructions for it. But nothing, really???

I just looked at this page : http://smoothieware.org/rrdglcdadapter and it shows where to solder the connectors, where to connect things etc. What information are you missing ?

And this page http://smoothieware.org/panel has the information on how to enable it in the configuration file.

My board doesn’t look like that - so I have no idea what is what.

It’s functionally identical, it does the same things, and the things are in the same places, it’s just made by another company.

Then wouldn’t only take a couple minutes to update your instructions? It might look the same to you - but not to someone laying their eyes on them for the first time.

Well it’s the first time somebody has a problem, so I didn’t know to add it before, but I’ll add a note.

So I followed the instructions the best I can, soldered the missing pins, uncommented the RRDLCD adapter example settings in the config file and when it boots it makes a slight high pitch noise with the backlight on. The smoothieboard is powered by a USB wall wart, and I didn’t buy that 5v adapter. The instructions really area not clear about possible needing a diode or something? A diode didn’t code with my kit?

I bought both the shield and smoothieboard from Uberclock.

www dot glassprinted dot com slash blankSmoothie.jpg
(can you please give me image post permission?)

So far everything I have tried to make work on this board has been a failure (using example settings), and I have to say the documentation is extremely terse and hard to understand. At this point I am regretting the purchase and might have to return it if I can’t get this working.

So I followed the instructions the best I can, soldered the missing pins, uncommented the RRDLCD adapter example settings in the config file and when it boots it makes a slight high pitch noise with the backlight on.

Where did you buy the panel from ? The clones have the connectors backwards.

(can you please give me image post permission?)

Can’t unfortunately, but Wikidot should let you after a few posts.

So far everything I have tried to make work on this board has been a failure (using example settings), and I have to say the documentation is extremely terse and hard to understand. At this point I am regretting the purchase and might have to return it if I can’t get this working.

We get praised daily for having the most complete and clear documentation around … We actually put a *lot* more effort into it compared to other projects …

If you stick with me, we’ll figure both your problems I’m pretty sure.

I bought the board and the shield from Uberclock. The LCD has been working perfectly fine with a RAMPS board using the default Marlin firmware settings for the discount graphic LCD.

An example of your documentation is “solder the connector missing” or “Update firmware (version after october 2014)”. I am sorry is just poorly written at best and that whole page is like that. I still don’t understand if I need to power the shield with 5V, or if I need a diode or what.

I bought the board and the shield from Uberclock.

Yes, but where did you buy the panel itself from ?

The LCD has been working perfectly fine with a RAMPS board using the default Marlin firmware settings for the discount graphic LCD.

If it’s a clone, it’s connectors are inverted *and* the RAMPS adapter is inverted too, so it would work there. For a Smoothieboard, if the connectors are inverted, you need to also invert the Smoothieboard adapter.

An example of your documentation is “solder the connector missing” or “Update firmware (version after october 2014)”.

The documentation is a wiki, it’s built by the community. Some pages can have a lesser quality than others, depending on the quality of the contributions. It’s *overall* much better than anything else around, but it’s certainly not perfect.

The panel installation is a reasonably simple task : 

• Solder the missing pins
  • Attach the adapter
  • Edit the configuration

Done.

So it actually has much more documentation than you’d get from other projects for the same task …

It’s also a wiki, once you get this to work, as everybody else does ( which is many people ), you are very welcome to make it better if you want.

I still don’t understand if I need to power the shield with 5V, or if I need a diode or what.

You need either : 

• A 5V input to your Smoothieboard ( from a 5V PSU ) or : 
  • A 1A Voltage regulator soldered to the Smoothieboard

The panel is quite power-hungry.

Cheers.

OK, well you might have some good documentation, but the fact remains the is only poor documentation at best for hooking up this panel to your shield.

I bought the board from RepRapDiscount. It’s white.

Alright, so I plugged in 2.4A 5v to the 5V header and now the LCD is just louder. Still blank. Please advise.

Actually in trying everything I could to get the board to work I had a line uncommented, so the LCD is working. Not a very graphic screen though (unlike Marlin’s) - oh well I understand you have to start somewhere.

Anyways, there is more than enough room to display the 2 hot ends and the bed info at the same time. Can you point me where to edit that? I am assuming I will have to go into the firmware for that.

Really glad you got it working. Asking you for your config is the next thing I was going for, probably should have done so earlier, sorry about that.

About changing the watch screen, you probably want to go there : https://github.com/Smoothieware/Smoothieware/blob/edge/src/modules/utils/panel/screens/WatchScreen.cpp#L234

Looking at the code it looks like it’s already getting temperature for dual extruders, and cycling between them. Probably easy to change the code to display both if you want, don’t hesitate to ask if you need help.

Cheers.

I am really glad that there is a community behind this board and having all the documentation has been great.
I am stuck though with the GLCD panel as well and hope you can help me out.

Here is where I am at.
Smothieboard 1.0b
GLCD shield latest version
GLCD from same source
I have the voltage regulator installed on the GLCD shield but I also have a 5v supply along with the 12v hooked into the VBB.
After reading the above it sounds like I may not need the regulator.?

Anyway, here is what I am experiencing. With the GLCD pluged in and running off of USB power only the screen works but is dim. I knew that would be the case though so no problem. Now if I plug in the 12v & 5v into the VBB and boot the board… nothing. But, if I eject the Msd card, reset the board, reinsert the Msd card and reset again all works fine until the power is turned off again. Once power is turned back on the screen stays blank and I think the board is hung up.

I have even gone to the point of completely disabling the external SD card slot to make sure that was not the problem even though I did not have a card in that slot.

Thanks,
Chris