Getting closer to a machine to develop LW for Originally shared by Todd Fleming

Getting closer to a machine to develop LW for

Originally shared by Todd Fleming

Moving the headstock. ~12 mm dia stock is almost workable. 17 mm stock is still horrid.

So coool!

Lathe tip. Those carbide tool bits don’t work as well as carbide inserts. I like to use TCMT-21.50 size for my small lathe. I made my own holders for them. Around couple dollars each on eBay. You’ll find it will take less cutting forces and get better surface finish.

I planned to upgrade tooling soon, but wasn’t sure what to get. Thanks for the tip! High on my list is a QCTP.

@Todd_Fleming they are nice but the holder you are using would probably be more rigid. That’s the issue with the aluminum QCTP I have. I should make a heavier steel one.

Maybe this one? Steel: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4039&category=1963256890

@Todd_Fleming that is a wedge type which is considered much better than the older dovetail system that I have. I bought mine from LMS years ago before I knew better. They discontinued my version. I’ve seen this same wedge quick change in eBay for a few dollars cheaper.

I think the Shars might be a better version. They are a larger industrial tool store.