First print time! I finally got everything wired up, and it works! Well,

First print time!

I finally got everything wired up, and it works! Well, it worked for a little while. Smoothie called a halt partway through the print citing that the bed had failed to reach the set temperature - a tad odd, seeing as it was already there and had been for awhile. I’m sure I just messed up a config option somewhere.

For what it did print it looks pretty good - I’ve got a little vibration that needs working out when the Y axis moves in the negative direction, but otherwise it’s not bad at all for a first print.

Have you tuned your PID values for you bed (each printer will be slightly different depending on the heater you used). How stable is the bed temp currently?

I never had much luck with smoothieware auto PID tuning. I have always had to hand tune mine to get the results I want.

This graphic is about the best thing I have found to show how changing the P, I, and D terms will change the loop performance. It really helps visualize how to tune for stable temps:

005a9f0a5c9a24c4f228d6f7d26268ad.gif

The graphic is from here which has lots of good info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

looks good - sounds like possibly there is still some friction- this was a problem I found initially too- the carriage just needs more working out I think- possibly recheck alignments.

@Eclsnowman I haven’t tried to tune my PID for the bed, but I’ve actually been pretty happy with it - it holds within 0.3 degrees using the settings provided in the example firmware from the github.

@Ted_Huntington You’re right - there is some friction when the Y axis moves in the negative direction. If it doesn’t work itself out in the next hour or two of movement I’ll likely go back and check my alignments again; I’ve gone around the machine four times now, but once more will never hurt.