Fail safe for 3D printers?

Fail safe for 3D printers?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guzu/heero-monitor-and-stop-any-electrical-device-remot

I don’t see the difference in this and octoprint monitoring whee you could just stop the print though. Plus with Octoprint you can control most every aspect of the printer.

@Griffin_Paquette From the sounds of it, the heero physically cuts the power going to the printer (it mentions being able to stop anything from printers, laers, lights, fans, etc) which octoprint alone can’t do. Yes you can set up a raspberry pi to do that but it’s not a default feature and wiring up mains appliances is dangerous and, at least here anyway, illegal and would probably throw any home insurance out the window were something to happen.

Wow the “background” music on the promo video is more than a bit much. Almost as if the narration was an intrusion on the music. Nice looking video edited by someone that apparently doesn’t know about audio ducking.

It does seem lack of host operation is a missed opportunity.

There’s no way to send gcode to a lightbulb. It seems aimed at physically cutting power to any electrical device, not controlling a specific device.

I’m aware they are pitching it to be more encompassing than watching just one type of device, the strong majority of their marketing is about 3D printing. Say even if it had host capability, that doesn’t prevent it from being able to control power to other appliances, it would just be a feature not used in that case.

i bought a couple integrated esp8266’s with relays that can do this. was thinking i was going to tie them into a thermister and smoke sensor to cut the power.