Engraving Stainless Steel Last week a machine shop asked me to engrave part numbers

Engraving Stainless Steel

Last week a machine shop asked me to engrave part numbers on some 300 small 304 Stainless Steel parts they were making for a customer. I had not tried to do this in stainless yet so I suggested doing a few sample parts and then if the customer liked them I would go ahead with the rest. They sign off on them and I ran the rest.
Unfortunately I can’t show you a picture of the part because it is a proprietary design… but I do have a picture of a test piece of material with some engraving on it.

First get yourself some CRC dry Moly lubricant for 13 bucks with free shipping like this:

Or this stuff if you got lots of money 63 bucks plus shipping :

https://www.cermarksales.com/product/lmm-14-black-for-metals-6oz-aerosol-spray/

And a can of Acetone, Nitrile gloves, and a coffee can to wash the spray off after engraving. (Wash off in a well ventilated area)
Spray a light coating let dry and engrave.
The laser power settings were not high, I think I used about 12ma. And I was cycling about three a minute. I charged 35 cents each. Total time doing them about 2 hrs. and made just about a $100 profit as I only used about third of the can of Moly spray. Acetone, about a cups worth. I was able to wash three as it engraved three stacked side by side.

@Steve_Clark Ive tried the Molykote but not had any joy is it the D123 you are using?

Andy, No I only used CRC 03084 Net Weight: 11 oz. 16oz Dry Moly Lubricant Aerosol Spray as I provide in the link. I got that off of EBay. I’ve not tried anything else as this worked so well. A further note… I also cleaned the parts in Acetone before spraying the Moly on.

Ok thanks didn’t think to check the link lol

What speed did you use? Thanks for sharing your process and links!

Arion, I think it was 15mm/sec but I’m not out in the shop to look it up.

Arion, I think I was wrong on the feed rate…more like 6 to 8 mm/sec.

@Steve_Clark ​ thanks. I just got the crc in the mail yesterday and gave it a try. Didn’t work first time but I’m sure I’ve done something Wong. Some of it stuck, but much of it came off.

You are not the first who has had trouble. The parts I did were cut out of 304 stainless sheet .040" thick. I’m wondering it thickness or alloy has an effect. I have not had a chance to test more yet.

My only test was on a thick metal bottle opener, so maybe that’s why. I’ll have to play around with it more.