Day One of My Printer Build

So, my new printer arrived today. And so far I have found the assembly instructions to be reasonably clear and easy to follow. I am fighting the urge to go into a mad frenzy of assembly and rush it. But I am just steadily following instructions to ensure I am doing things by the book. I am at the point of not nipping the screws up yet (to simplify later adjustments, according to the destruction manual). But when I do get to that point, I may slightly deviate from the manual, but only as far as shimming where necessary, using a bit of locktite 222 (other brands are available :rofl:) and using a square and a dial guage when I get to the alignments. I think I am about 1/3 of the way through the assembly.

I did spend some time this morning looking at a heated (temperature controlled) enclosure for it. But I was unimpressed with what I saw online. The cheap ones are fabric based, and you cannot keep an eye on what is happening, and the acrylic ones are ridiculously priced. I have drawn up something that I think will perform nicely and it is a reasonable cost. I will not order any parts for it until I am sure the printer is working properly, as I would need to print a few components such as acrylic sheet mounts, and a box for the Arduino that will be used to set and monitor temperatureā€¦but I think that with the bits I have laying around in the workshop I should be able to build the enclosure for around Ā£150. I will post some pictures when it is complete, and if anyone likes it, I would be happy to share the BoM (Bill of Materials), the CAD files and the Arduino wiring diagram and code.

So, I hope tomorrow carries on being productiveā€¦

4 Likes