Cutting boxes and a new toy

(cross-posting from the Carbide 3D forums)

A traditional way to make boxes is to make them all of a piece, and then cut them apart — this can be made easier by cutting a slot, and cutting through at the corners, but this results in losing the width of the slot (or more when a saw is used to finish) in height.

Couldn’t resist picking up a JointMaker Pro when they were recently on sale at Bridge City Tool Works:

so have to try it for cutting apart a box:

2 Likes

More than half-way through cutting the lid off:

3 Likes

And success!

just have to add hardware and finish.

4 Likes

Very nice toy!

Nice! Don’t forget to post a final pic with the finish and hardware!

I’ve been curious about the JMP as my shop is too small for a tablesaw.

Had to order screws from Lee Valley (which have finally arrived) — just need to decide on finish (will probably just rub down w/ walnut oil and beeswax) and which hardware to use.

Haven’t bothered with a finish yet, but hardware install went well (though I wonder if I shouldn’t’ve used two clasps)

3 Likes

Oh nice. I love the responsiveness of a hand-cranked bit driver.

2 Likes

Agreed, that and a good brace are hard to beat for feel and control when drilling holes in delicate material or driving hardware.

Finished:

Finish was as simple as possible — just walnut oil, then rubbing with beeswax, then burnishing with a cloth.

5 Likes

It is a shame that fewer people are appreciating the craftsmanship that goes into making even a simple box.

1 Like

This is why Sloyd should be a standard part of the educational curriculum:

Students may never pick up a tool again, but they will forever have the knowledge of how to make and evaluate things with your hand and your eye and appreciate the labor of others

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the article. I have to give credit to my father who was a machinist and my shop teacher for the my love of the craft.