Could someone give a description of how to feel for the correct the tension

Could someone give a description of how to feel for the correct the tension in the X and Y timing belts?

…and how to tighten without taking the whole thing apart?

As far as how to feel for it, I put my finger on the belts and found one a little bit looser than the other. I pushed up the engraving speed on some text and found that 40mm/s works perfectly, 50mm/s would just start to be a 50/50 chance of getting “squiggly” and anything above that, like 60mm/s was clearly making the steppers miss steps. Given the speeds I’ve seen others here mention, I’m pretty sure my belts could use a tightening. I haven’t had the time yet to investigate it myself, so I’m piggybacking on this question. :nerd_face:

Kind of hard to say. It shouldn’t be too tight but still tight enough to stay engaged on the stepper pulleys. I can give mine a little strum but still get quite a bit of deflection when I push on the belt. I know this is kind wishy washy answer. The belts are a bit elastic so just don’t over tighten them.

@SirGeekALot if you are missing steps above 40mm/s on engraving your belts may be too loose. I routinely engrave at 350-400 mm/s without problems and occasionally up to 550 mm/s.

@SirGeekALot to tighten the y-axis belts there are holes in the back of the machine which allow you to stick a long screwdriver through to get to the belt tensioners on either side of the bed.

@Nedman Thanks! The X-axis did seem fine, while the Y-axis seemed much looser. I’ll have to look for the holes. I only recall one though…

@SirGeekALot Hi James, there are 2 holes, about 1cm dia and the tensioning screws are about 120mm from the hole … remember those ducks at the fairground you had to hook, and never could, well, finding the head of those tensioning screws is a little like that … impossible.

I found It helps to reach around through the bed to guide the screwdriver to the screws. Left side is easier then right but just getting a finger on the screw helps. Or putting a light in the back of the bed should enable you to look through the hole to see the screw head.

Pics of the y axis adjustment screw that I took when I had the gantry out might help you.