Could any one point me in the right direction for modifying STL Files via

Could any one point me in the right direction for modifying STL Files via Fusion 360. I need to slice up the bottom plates for the F1 project in order to fit on my build plate and id also like to modify small portions of the car. Cheers

In Fusion 360 open the left panel and under Data select Upload (cloud with arrow up). Upload your STL model into Fusion 360 and select it for further work. In direct modelling space you can convert Mesh object (STL) to BRep (command in Modify menu). More at http://fusion360.autodesk.com/learning/learning.html?caaskey=caas/discussion/t5/Design-Validate-Document/STL-import-Mesh-to-BRep/td-p/5044196.html etc.

Ahh thank you @Tomas_Vit I was able to import STLs but fell flat on my face after that! Cheers and Ill give these techniques a try!

Woah, must try this.

Thanks @Blayne_Puklich I will keep that in mind :slight_smile:

Download Meshmixer for simple slicing. Use plane cut from Edit, (clean slice) then separate shells. done.

I was able to use @Tomas_Vit s suggestion above and it worked. It doesn’t make the part solid as I though because when I hover my mouse over certain areas of it they show up as triangles but I was able to edit what I needed to do. I will have to investigate further.

@Blayne_Puklich It would be nice if people that wanted modifications shared a more user friendly file :slight_smile:

@Blayne_Puklich Is an OBJ file type good to share to allow easier editing?

@Chris_Halliday , a .obj​ is effectively the same polygon based file format as .stl. Wouldn’t make editing easier unfortunately.

10/4, thanks @Andre_Roy

I think in order for the project to be truly “open” it should be build in an online 3D design app, where anyone can easily modify and contribute. Tinkercad makes a perfect contender as it is super easy to use and has a basic community. You can export to several printer-friendly file formats once you’re done! Chris, have you heard of it?