Continuing to work out details of the budget/costs for the H-1 Racer project.

Continuing to work out details of the budget/costs for the H-1 Racer project. I’m estimating the volume of plastic required to print a single set of molds. Rough estimates for 2 wings and fuselage, assuming 10% infill is total of 220kg, or 4450$ of PLA @ 20$/kg. The cost of the molds so far is much more than previously estimated or the cost of the radio, batteries, motor and other electronics combined.

Mold dimensions for estimates are:
-Fuselage L/W/H: 2m/0.8m/0.7m
-Wing: L/W/H: 1m/0.7m/0.3m

To be more cost effective we’ll likely make our test prints at a smaller scale. 1m wing span anyone?

Wow. This estimate is for full rectangular blocks (10% filled) with the mold cavity on one side? If so, I’m thinking you could reduce the cost significantly by modeling a support scaffold somewhat like Slic3r’s pillar supports.

Rectangular blocks. Cavity ignored for simplicity. Also ignoring cost of electricity.

What is the final aircraft size?

2.5m wingspan.

Big enough for a person?

no, if I remember right, it’s 1/4 scale of the full-scale plane.

Pla++ filament from Breathe 3DP should arrive next week! And I’ll get serious with the molds. Also trading a Filabot for a Printrbot Big-E :wink: to ease cost. I got sidetracked and haven’t started the pellet extruder design. Carl Ubis did whip up a 24V dual core Ubis 13S derivative though… I’m testing it. I also started to play around with a heated bed… That’s a tricky one.

Since the cost of printing molds is so high why not do them in fiberglass? I’m a composites expert. I can either give you assistance if you’ve never done it before or even do it for you. Check of my website if you haven’t already to see my work http://www.btifab.com

calculating the cost based on solid printed molds is ridiculous!

You could print a mold in spiral vase mode (wing and fuselage vertical) and use less material, print faster, etc. Just need a tall delta? @ThantiK I’d keep it as just a thick shell surface offset of your desired part, with lots of sanding and acetoning of mold surface - no reason it needs to be a box with half your part subtracted.

My estimates aren’t ridiculous, they are perfectly normal estimates for this stage of the project. Molds arent solid they assume 10% infill. The point is, cost grows to the cube of scale. Being large scale, costs are great.

Consider joining the project and testing your new ideas with us.

@brett_turnage ​ we are considering printing a plug and making a more traditional mold as well.

@Andre_Roy well let me know if you need help or advice. I use my printers to make plugs all the time. I like this Google group, the people seem very nice and helpful and so I’m happy to contribute or help out in any way that I can.

Excellent, so you make a 3D printed plug, and then form a composite mold around it? I’m curious about what your molds look like.

+André Roy yeah. That’s the whole reason why I got into 3-D printing. Instead of sanding and making a plug by hand I just design it in CAD, and print it out. It is much more accurate and a lot less work–not to mention a lot less dust. You still have to primer it then sand it smooth to get rid of the layers of FTM printing leaves, but it’s a much quicker and better way to take a product from idea to actual composite part.

You need a vaccum bag system?

Are you able to estimate cost of producing a mold?

@Andre_Roy if you’re making a fiberglass mold then no. You can use Isophthalic Polyester resin and a gelcoat and lay it on by hand. If you plan on making the final part in carbon fiber, then you need a vacuum system at the very least to have good results, if you are using epoxy resin, which would be the best resin for a strong and durable part.

@Andre_Roy Give me all the dimensions of the actual plane or part and I can figure out what you need and how much it would cost.

The parts fit well in the dimensions I have in my post at the top. It’ll be simple, conservative but ballpark. 1 fuselage and 2 wings. I’d be curious about what the assumptions for the estimate are :).