configuration file pin format?

I’m trying to hook up a rotary encoder. Arthur suggested using;
panel.encoder_a_pin 0.15!

panel.encoder_b_pin 0.17!
From smoothieware.org-slash-configuring-smoothie, the exclamation point means an inverted pin,
but what does 0.15 refer to?
I tried looking at other config entries from ConfigSamples-slash-Smoothieboard-slash-config,
in an attempt to try to decipher the numbering convention.
# Stepper module pins ( ports, and pin numbers, appending “!” to the number will invert a pin )

alpha_step_pin 2.0 # Pin for alpha stepper step signal

alpha_dir_pin 0.5 # Pin for alpha stepper direction

alpha_en_pin 0.4 # Pin for alpha enable pin

alpha_current 1.5 # X stepper motor current
Does this mean that 2 of the alpha ports are on port 0, and one each on ports 1 & 2?
When I look at the smoothieboard pinouts, the alpha driver is on JP7, and JP7 has only 4 pins.

I don’t get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Chelmite

Imported from wikidot

Hi !

Pins are under the format “port.pin” where port is the port number, and pin is the pin number inside that port.
The LPC1769 has 5 ports, each port has ( up to ) 32 pins.
It’s just a way of naming pins, that’s internally used by the MCU.
The last page here should help : http://www.embeddedartists.com/sites/default/files/docs/schematics/LPCXpressoLPC1769revB.pdf
Also, the user manual for the LPC1769.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Okay, I’m starting to get it. They’re ports on the processor, not the smoothie board.
The smoothie board has some ports (e.g., JP7) whose individual pins have the port.pin notation.
Is it true that these correspond to the port.pin on the MCU?
If true, then the port.pin referenced in the config file is constrained to where the port.pin is brought out on the smoothieboard.
The choice of names used in the first column of the config must be constrained to some set of names known to the software.
Where is that set of names defined?

Thanks for your help!
Steve

Okay, I’m starting to get it. They’re ports on the processor, not the smoothie board.
The smoothie board has some ports (e.g., JP7) whose individual pins have the port.pin notation.

JP7 is just the name on the pcb of a set of pins broken out, yes.

Is it true that these correspond to the port.pin on the MCU?

Yes.

If true, then the port.pin referenced in the config file is constrained to where the port.pin is brought out on the smoothieboard.

Yes.

The choice of names used in the first column of the config must be constrained to some set of names known to the software.

Names in the first column ? Constrained ? I’m not sure I get it.

Where is that set of names defined?

Not sure what you mean.

Cheers !

In

alpha_step_pin 2.0 # Pin for alpha stepper step signal

2.0 is the port.pin on the MCU.

alpha_step_pin (1st column on the line) is a name that I’m guessing that some app, whether it’s config or something else, knows about.

I doubt that it’s arbitrary text. Maybe, at a low level it is (such as in a program that reads the config file and puts it in a form that other apps can deal with it), but there must be a list of known names that the (some) app of interest knows about.

Hi !

The config options are understood by the smoothie firmware. Each module has it’s own set of options, you’ll have to browse the code to find them all : https://github.com/arthurwolf/Smoothie
A good starting point to get a list of ( most ) config options is the example config file : https://github.com/arthurwolf/Smoothie/blob/edge/ConfigSamples/Smoothieboard/config

Cheers :slight_smile: