Centring beam on 3rd mirror

Im after your thoughts based on the attached images.

Im at the point in alignment where the beam is consistently hitting the same place on my 3rd mirror in each of the corners of the machine, however that point is not centred. From what i can tell with the brackets, namely the bracket upon which the “head” is attached, Im out of adjustment room.

Is there anything obvious from the attached images im missing? You can see the dot from the beam in one of them.

I should mention this is a Chinese 1060 with basically all the running gear of a k40, just longer axis.

Two out of three of the Y adjustment on the head should move it enough.

One of the slots may have to be elongated…

My adjustment for this with m2, where I can move it along the Y axes.

Has is always had this issue? Do you know when you became aware of this? Maybe it’s related to another modification…?

Ensure that the center of the hole is actually the center of the mirror lens/tube… This is my original head assembly. As you can see, the center of the lens tube/mirror isn’t what I’d call centered.

The target with m3, is to go down the center of the tube, striking the center of the lens. If it strikes off center the resultant beam will be an a similar angle. Sometimes this means it’s not centered exactly on m3. M3 has to catch the resulting beam, so to speak.

Lots of these parts look pretty corroded… is if where you live or what you are cutting/engraving?

:smile_cat:

Thanks for the thoughts.

We bought the machine second hand last weekend, and its our first foray into laser engraving and cutting. At this stage we have done a heap of reading you instructional video watching and are trying to get things as close to well set up as we can.

I had though about elongating the slot, but to be honesy im not sure what the best method would be at this point. Perhaps a round file would do.

As for corrosion, im not so sure. Ive been cleaning up parts of the machine as I go. Most of the gunk seems to be sticky residue, even on the parts im posting pictures of. Alcohol wipes seem to be helping a greay deal. The head is now way more brassy after a wipe down. Im assuming its mostly gunk from poorly cleared smoke.

Line down the middle of the existing slot… Drill then file out to square up the slot.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

I would pull mirror #2 into the springs about 1/8" since there’s no adjustment at the laser head and it looks like mirror #2 is more than the needed distance away from the mounting plate. Mark each screw head and back out each screw the same number of turns might get you where you want to be.