BTT Manta E3 EZ with CB1,, How to make it run dual Z steppers separately

BIGTREETECH Manta E3EZ V1.0-SCH.pdf (1.3 MB)

Using Klipper, Printer.cfg. Can I add the Z1 stepper the same as Z0, just apply the PB7 step, and PB6 dir and plug Z1 into E1 socket, Or am I better off to leave the splitter on Z0

Good question and my first thought is that since you’re talking dual Z on 3DP that driving both from one driver would be best. But maybe there’s some gain from using a separate driver like auto tramming where each Z motor is driven separately to get the X axis parallel to the bed.

Is there a reason why you want to use separate drivers over parallel connection which the BTT Manta E3 EZ board shows 6 motor connectors and 5 drivers?

Enter these lines into printer.cfg file:

[stepper_z1]
step_pin: PB7
dir_pin: PB6
enable_pin: !PB4
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 2 > change to correct value

[tmc2209 stepper_z1]
uart_pin: PB5
##diag_pin: PC6
run_current: 0.800
#stealthchop_threshold: 999999

1 Like

Much late on the reply… I sent the E3EZ board back because it wouldn’t allow me to install klipper onto the MCC Pi board directly as it was described in the advertisement, which was my reason for buying it in the second place. Also I found that my Mini E3v3 board blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and went back to working with it. USING only one driver for two steppers. But I did drop my Z-stepper current a little from where I had it when I blew the fuse.
As I surmise it, many people have Z banding issues due to not having enough current provided when they install a dual Z-stepper system. Much like My
ender3 did, when I installed the dual Z system I started having some issues with layer offset or X/Y skipping where the part would skip and the layer would print off from the original piece… I fixed that by increasing the current to my dual Z steppers. But after almost a year the board died(I thought) so I bought the E3 EZ board…
I’m quite happy with the way my printer is working now though, So THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTENDED HELP. I’m quite sure changing the cfg file and wiring the #2 Z stepper would have worked like that

1 Like