Begin my CNC build

Begin my CNC build

Is there any adjustment possible in all those bearings?

Yes

That is one ambitious looking skate bearing machine. I tried building a skate bearing machine twice. I’m using drawer slides now. Someday I plan on stepping up to using real linear guides. If I was to try a third crack at skate bearings I’d use them in a fake V groove configuration. As I’ve met with some limited success doing that. I’m using a fake V groove setup on my Z axis now. It’s OK.

Fake V groove is when you stack two skate bearings together with a spacer between them to make a groove. Theoretically you’re side loading the bearings then, and supposedly they’re not designed for that. But in practice it works pretty good.

@Paul_Frederick what went wrong in your skate bearing machine?

@xue_roger That is a complicated question. I suppose the easiest answer is that I was overconfident in how accurately I could make it. The long story is that it bent up into a pretzel, and destroyed itself in the process.

At one point I thought I could just beef up the corners and fight the torsional forces. Yeah, that didn’t work either.

That steel angle is 3/8s of an inch thick. It almost worked, kind of.

@Paul_Frederick is this the xy joint? is this caused by the y rail the bearings ride on is not totally parallel to each other?

thanks for the reply

@xue_roger Yeah my rails were way out of parallel. I relied on how the axis felt moving too much. I don’t know how out of whack it was really though, because I only measured it after the machine racked. Let’s just say that I have a healthy respect for the forces a lead screw can generate now.

Chinese HWIN MGN12 knock off rails are $80 for 3 in 600mm length.

@Trampas_Stern yeah but what do they cost to ship?

The shipping is around $20-$30 but the MGN12 might not have the load rating, depending on CNC you are building.

Aliexpress also has rails

@Trampas_Stern Shipping items not subsidized by China Post is always expensive. It pretty much negates any potential savings buying direct from China usually offers too.