Apple's App store enabled developers like me to be able to sell their apps

Apple’s App store enabled developers like me to be able to sell their apps world wide and earn money.
I had imagined that 3D printing would open up a new era for designers. Designers would have earned money world wide if they could sell their designs. On Shapeways and similar services they can do that. However if they want to reach more people a DRM system would be required.
When we thing of DRM, we always thing its for big firms not for individuals.

Was this meant to be a reply to your DRM post? And sorry, but if you want to sell designs, you rely on copyright, not DRM.

Actually it is a new topic. The previous was a post of an article. This one is a discussion. I want to get your comments. Because I really believe that individual designers should be able to make money and 3D printing opens up an opportunity for them.

Apples app store has nothing to do with DRM allowing you to make money. It has to do with providing an easy to use outlet in order to purchase things. Apple apps are quite possibly some of the most widely pirated apps out there. DRM isn’t the cause for profit…

DRM is stupid, and people know that. It is not required if you want to make money from your designs. DRM is a solution looking for a problem. You’re looking for copyright, not DRM.

You are free to sell physical goods in a repeatable, quality controlled process that includes packaging, electronics and other non-printable party assembly, translated manuals, warranty, returns, …

If a design consists of only a single, hard plastic part with no requirements regarding tollerances, surface finish, color and material-choice it’s likely not worth selling or protecting.

what is DRM?

Digital Rights Management.
Where the company selling you a movie can manage what access rights you have to it. e.g. only watch on device A and B but not C and only on weekdays after 18:00 for 3 days but at most 5 times.

Ah! not good…

It’s also know as “Digital Restriction Management” and often only hinders the rightful user to use the product but does not slow the pirates down. A good example of DRM failing is Ubisoft’s approach on e.g. Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time, where level scripting is dynamically downloaded from Ubisoft’s server as the player progresses through the map.
When Ubisoft’s servers went offline, paying players were not able to play the game anymore, but pirated copies of the game came with a small stand-alone server that replicated Ubisoft’s servers and allowed them to play anytime they want.

You should check out Charles Stross’ Rule 34 if you get excited about DRM. It will help you see how it won’t really lead to good things. The cat is out of the bag, it is time to focus on making things not trying to own a shape of a thing.

If there is an award at the end, it would pay off for designers effort to keep designing. If not much can be printed on your 3D printer then owning one would not be attractive for many. (unless you are a designer)

@Ibrahim_Kocaalioglu money is not always a reward. IMHO money is poison and a necessary evil that many of us must deal with without choice.

I know that :slight_smile:
At the end one needs to earn his/her living