Any users here ?

I have downloaded compiled and tested the controller (of course with a great help of Arthur).
Did someone else did the same ?

Imported from wikidot

Yes I am here… :smiley:

And I would like to use this nice grbl port on my mbed, which will be moving a laser beam…

Hi and welcome !

There is documentation ( very basic right now ) on the project’s main page: http://smoothieware.org/
If you have any kind of question/run into any trouble please don’t hesistate to ask.

What kind of laser ? Power ? What are you looking to burn/cut ?

I already ran into trouble.

I also tried to compile the code on the online compiler, but there it makes problems with the FATFilesystem. No solution found.

Then I wanted to compile the stuff on windows platform, and it didn’t like it, complaining about not findable include files etc.
Long story short, in the makefile there was the

SRC=./src/

line, which prevented correct compiling. After changing it to

SRC=./src

it now compiles. with hundreds of warnings of unused parameters, variable shadowing etc.

I want to use your grbl port to steer a galvo scanner which has analog voltage inputs. So I don’t need the stepper module, but some kind of similar module that outputs a given voltage at given time on an SPI based DAC.

Where should I start? Delete and write from scratch? Actually I don’t really understand the functioning of the Stepper, where the ticks come from, etc…

I already ran into trouble.

That’s to be expected, smoothie is quite young, and while it’s attracting interrest fast, I’m still mostly alone to code it and use it right now.

I also tried to compile the code on the online compiler, but there it makes problems with the FATFilesystem. No solution found.

I did not try to compile using the online compiler since the very early stages.

it now compiles. with hundreds of warnings of unused parameters, variable shadowing etc.

That’s quite normal for code in this stage :slight_smile: The important thing right now is that it works.

I want to use your grbl port to steer a galvo scanner which has analog voltage inputs. So I don’t need the stepper module, but some kind of similar module that outputs a given voltage at given time on an SPI based DAC.
Where should I start? Delete and write from scratch? Actually I don’t really understand the functioning of the Stepper, where the ticks come from, etc…

This may be of help to you : http://smoothieware.org/howitworks
Can you tell more about what a galvo scanner is ? That would help :slight_smile:

But indeed, it seems what you want is a modified Stepper module.
The way to do this is : 

1. Disable the Stepper module by having it return right at the beginning of the on_module_loaded callback
  2. Code a tool module ( like extruder or laser ) that takes Stepper’s place in the flow ( take()s and release()s blocks with movement in them ) and outputs to your SPI thing in the meanwhile.

If you need any help, don’t hesitate : here or at wolf.arthur@gmail.com

Cheers !

This is a galvo scanner:

www.zamisel.com/galvanometer.jpg

And yes, I already saw that pillow shape :smiley:

Oh ok, yes indeed, to control it via spi dac you’ll have to code a new Stepper module.
Should be quite similar to the normal Stepper module.

You’ll also need to make a new ArmSolution module, to translate xy positions into rotational positions, the structure for that is already inside, you just need to customomize.

Cheers !

Where is the .cpp code of the ring buffer? you committed the .o file :smiley:

All of the code for that one is in the .h, there are a few purely utilitarian files that are this way.