An Xuav Talon modified with retractable insect traps and led light strips for a

An Xuav Talon modified with retractable insect traps and led light strips for a twilight insect collection project. The airplane flies really well with the U of MN Goldy3 flight controller hardware running custom AuraUAS firmware. Tonight was a test run to see if/how much affect the insect traps have on flight characteristics when deployed in flight. They add some drag, but otherwise their airplane hardly notices them. They can be retracted for launch and landing. (The airplane is sitting upside down in order to test the trap extension/retraction mechanism before the next flight.)

How are traps designed… Open mouth net(live capture), or ‘bugs on a windshield’?

They is netting there that is sprayed with “cooking spray” so the bugs stick. So it’s not bugs on a windshield, but also not catch and release.

So, roasted bug for breakfast. :wink:

Actually these go into a ziplock bag and then the freezer after the flight. Later they can be carefully inventoried under a magnifying glass. If I want roasted bugs for breakfast I’ll just grab a handful from under the porch light on my way out the door for work. :slight_smile:

That is actually genius.

Not my idea of course, I’m just helping the entomologists with their project.