Addressable UV LED strips? So there are pixel-addressable LED strips.

Addressable UV LED strips?
So there are pixel-addressable LED strips.
And there are UV (ultraviolet -ish) LED strips.
But are there pixel-addressable UV LED strips?

Actually, while I’m being totally unrealistic, I guess what I want is something like the 5050 RGBW strips which are actually RGB WWW RGB WWW RGB WWW…, except that I want RGB UUU RGB UUU RGB UUU.

Anyone have a lead on where to find either pixel-addressable UV strips, or RGBU strips? I know it’s longshot, but if anyone at all knows, it’s you!

(I’ll let you speculate wildly among yourselves about the potential use for such a device…)

Remember those rigid strips I made last year, with LPD8806s and RGB pixels at the top? I actually made one with 5050 UV LEDs instead (or near UV). That’s about as close as I ever came to a pixel-addressable UV ‘strip’, albeit rigid.

Actually, for the project I have in mind, rigid wold be perfect. How’d that go with the UV5050s?

Went fine, and as far as I know, they’re still working. It was something for my daughter’s room which she took with her when she moved out. I am out of the UV LEDs right now though …

Also, @Brian_Pinkham has made some noises about getting strips made, and can probably point you at folks.

Oh yeah- good point. I bet custom isn’t too hard for this. Maybe.

When I wanted addressable UV leds I ended up having to just use a good old fashioned TCL5940 for 16 leds, or possibly 2 chained for 32 leds, I got it working then promptly abandoned it, i’ll have to dig it out to see.
I was making a thing to draw images or at least text or shapes onto a glow in the dark sheet, it worked but not well and I never did refine it.
Are you making something fancy with things that fluoresce?

Yeah if someone already went through a vendor who was willing to make some custom UV strips, that’s really the way to go here.

Cool idea there, printing onto GITD material.

But what brought this idea up was this: http://m.instructables.com/id/String-Art-Dome/?ALLSTEPS

Yeah that’s similar to what I did for my daughter. She painted something on a 24x24 piece of canvas using UV reactive paint, then covered it with UV string in strategic places. She used to have just a UV light sitting nearby but then “Dad came around and accidentally broke said bulb!” so she made me ‘fix it’ … I added UV strips along the edges instead. Worked better than the single light bulb.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150507233100&SearchText=uv+led+strip there you go

@Philippe_Maegerman none of those are addressable

oh ok, that was too easy :wink:

Holy shit. An LED jacket that makes other people’s clothes light up!

…in animated patterns.

Lot of creativity to get from this, I barely found a few dmx providers that have some UV panels … maybe a new business to start :wink:

Yes you Canon,we made a ws2811 chip with a mix off cool white , and warm light … Just ask and it can be done by the right peopel

Little late to the party here… why not use the 12v WS2xxx strips, then make a small breakout board with a WS driver on it to drive transistors and control a segment of the 12v UV strip? Granted, you’d end up with a lower density strip as the 12v strips are traditionally 3- 5050 leds controlled as 1 “pixel”. I made a similar board to have the WS2811 control 10w leds and it came out very nicely.

Did anybody ever make any progress on this? Like Mark, I think it would be pretty neato to have a strip with, say, one out of every three LEDs a UV LED (e.g. one of these: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-design-5050-smd-365nm-380nm_1585573501.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.7AxnrW )

Have any of you ever requested custom manufacturing? If so, any ideas whether any particular manufacturer might be willing to do something like this if we put in a bulk order?

another bump