Acetone vapor smoothed parts (Black ABS from Atomic Filament) for my ongoing Tria build.

Acetone vapor smoothed parts (Black ABS from Atomic Filament) for my ongoing Tria build. Used a cold vapor method.

Magnets are used to hold paper towels on the inside of a paint can. Enough acetone is added to saturate the paper towels and any excess liquid is dumped from the container. Next, the can with the acetone-soaked towels is inverted over the lid (parts to be smoothed are positioned on the lid). Set a timer for 30 minutes and check to see the progress. Some parts will require up to 80 minutes (depending on ambient temperature and part geometry). DO NOT touch the parts until at least an hour after! Wait at least 2-3 hours before attempting to install the parts or handle them extensively as they will still be soft.

Note: parts will continue to develop after being removed from the acetone vapor environment.

For a video on this (not mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLVyGDvisM

Looking good man.

Does this have any effect on the integrity of the part?

@Alex_Krause If anything, it improves the integrity by creating better bonding between layers where the acetone penetrates. The only downside is that very small features are likely to be lost if it is over-done.

That is what I was wondering if it helped bind some of the layers together