A comparison of bed topping for ABS.

A comparison of bed topping for ABS.
I’ve recently tried a couple different heated bed toppings, and i still have some experiences with others from earlier on. For each test, the bed was set as hot as possible without the print deforming from the heat - for me, that was 120C for the first and a gentle slope down to 105C for the remaining layers, with 105C reached about 5mm into the print. The bed is a standard Prusa PCB with a layer of 0.5mm aluminum and a 3mm glass sheet on top. My printer was deliberately left un-shrouded in the cold (~8C) basement to maximize warp. This is what i found:

Kapton tape: Probably the most popular option, as it is used by Makerbot and many other printer makers. Adhesion to the tape is usually excellent, and still fairly strong when fully cooled. However, the problem is usually that the tape peels itself from the glass before the print detaches itself from the tape, which generally means that you need to take care of the tape after each large-ish print. It often tears when trying to peel the prints off, requiring you to replace it. Seams between the individual pieces of tape are always visible on the print. Fingerprints ruin adhesion, so it’s best to wipe it down with acetone or alcohol before each print. Tip for replacing: Roughly align the whole length of tape without pressing it down, then run the thumb-facing curve of your index finger over the tape to stick it down without bubbles or creases.

PET tape: Popularized by nophead, since it is easier to get prints off when done. Which is true, but also means decreased overall adhesion of your prints. Useful for large production runs of small items. Somewhat limited availability.

Hairspray on glass: Didn’t work for me as the print completely broke loose below 110C. I might have used the wrong kind of hairspray, though, as there are many reports of hairspray working well. Oh, and it has a terrible smell to it the first time you heat it up.

ABS juice: Can be used on top of plain glass or Kapton. It absolutely didn’t work on plain glass for me (peeled right off), but with a layer of Kapton underneath, it did overall increase adhesion. Accumulates each time you apply new juice and prints will end up with a slight brim that needs to be manually removed. It will be visible on the bottom layer if you use a non-matching color.

Glue stick: My absolute favorite so far. Works well on plain glass - in fact, warp was reduced by about 50% when compared to Kapton, but prints still pop off once completely cooled. Can be used many times without maintainance, but the marks from previous prints might be visible on the bottom layer. You can barely feel that the bottom picks up a small amount of glue. Gives off a tiny amount of smoke/steam when first heated. It is water-soluble with warm water, so preparing the bed for a fresh coat is as easy as heating it to 30C, wiping it down with water and then (optionally) smearing new glue over it. Overall, it’s cheap, easy to apply without making a mess and has all the adhesion properties you want.

Up for discussion: What bed topping do you use and recommend?

Variation on the glue stick is PVA glue - white, water soluble, works for pla, nylon as well. I apply with a moistened sponge.

@William_Frick right, i missed that one. I’ll get to testing right away!

I’m a convert for Glue stick. I tried Blue Tape, Blue Tape with Alcohol, and at least one other thing I’m fogetting…Elmers worked the first time. Pull things off by hand, scrape things flat-ish with a razor blade, keep on printing. No more ripped tape, no more ‘not quite clean enough to stick’, no more ‘it printed, but now it won’t come off’

I usually see people in videos using Aquanet hairspray, which I don’t recall seeing in stores since the late 80s, lol

What glue stick are you using? Can you give the ingredients, so I can look around here where that Elmers @Mike_Miller talks about is not available

@Benny_Malengier it’s a simple tesa glue stick which i just happened to have sitting around. The package does not mention any ingredients, only that it can be washed out at 30C and is solvent-free.
I always thought they were pretty generic items, though, so i’d just get one and try it out.

@Benny_Malengier , It says Elmer’s Craft Bond Repositionable glue stick. Acid-free, photo-safe, non-toxic, conforms to ASTM D 4236…there are no other useful identifying marks on the label. As you can see from the link…it’s even cheap! http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Craft-Bond-Sticks-Repositionable/dp/B0040V9V28

What about other non-setting adhesives aside from the gluesticks?

@Thomas_Sanladerer PVA glue is the same basic component used in most glue sticks. Experiment as YMMV. I’ve had some ABS stick so well I had to soak it in the sink, but absolutely no warp !

I have heard about good results from coating plain glass with a bit of beer - the reason why I am phrasing it so carefully is because I myself haven’t had that much luck with it, but I know at least two people who print ABS and they swear by the stuff.

@Igor_Larine I bet the beer is applied internally and only gives the perception of improved prints :wink:

If you can find some, I’m curious how well 505 fabric adhesive spray would work. It’s a temporary, water soluble adhesive

@Igor_Larine Beer in the wrong amounts can make anything look good … until the following morning !

I’ve used glue stick on the bed surface for nylon and had great success, but for some reason never thought to try it with ABS. I’ll have to give it a shot now and see.

@William_Frick i just aborted the PVA test as it was warping pretty badly. Do you need to bake the PVA layer before it becomes usable?

@Thomas_Sanladerer Yes, It should be dry. I keep my bed at 120 C through out the print as well. The heat of the bed dries it pretty quick.

I’ve also switched to glue stick on glass for general purpose printing (ABS and PLA). I had good luck with Aquanet, but it was a little finicky about drying time (had to be just barely dry for maximum adhesion) and plain old Elmer’s glue stick seems to work great with less fuss.

I’ve used hair spray, use a thin layer or you will get build up and nothing will stick. It is too messy. Purple glue sicks are cheap and easy but get messy also. Never tried blue painters tape. Kapton tape alone is great for small stuff but bigger pieces warp after a while. Now kapton tape with abs juice is the winner but it is almost impossible to remove the prints without putting my build plate in the freezer.

Can you try TRESemme hairspray with Elmer glue-stick? Been using this combo for a year and it holds all my abs prints. I apply on bare glass too. I really don’t know why this brand works but it’s the best out of all other hairsprays I’ve tried.

Apply hairspray on cold plate, let it dry. Apply glues stick and heat it up to 90 to 100C.

When removing prints, just let it cool down and it’ll pop right off.