3D printing is in a great spot for makers and the DIY community -

3D printing is in a great spot for makers and the DIY community - but there’s still much to do if we want more capable machines and a wider adoption of the technology. So at MRRF2018, I went around and collected some of the community’s opinions on what needs to happen next!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6GltNhkvG4

2d printers are still the butt of computer hardware jokes! :wink: But they’re still used in a widespread manner.

Josef Lols

I think ease of use is going to have to improve before we can see more widespread adoption. Everyone I tell about my Prusa is amazed and impressed that I know how to work one, and that perception needs to change, and that reality as well. I’m just a tinkerer in this field, the guys making these need to step up and simplify.

Widespread use of power panic still needs to be a thing as a mandatory feature.
32bit all 3d printers
On board slicing, allowing seamless direct model to print.
Waiting for @Simplify3D to have it’s slicer to be able to be hooked into something like OctoPrint, on a Raspberry PI.

I’ve seen vast improvements in software in the last couple of years but I think we’ve still got a long way to go, especially for the casual user.it would be nice to design, slice and print from one piece of software that you don’t have to have a degree in to figure out how to use. On the hardware side I liked the idea of more sensors to monitor the build.

Closed loops for all motion and other controls.
Total auto calibration. Failure detection and recovery. Plate clearing and preparation. Dynamic variable precision. Tool changes. Material mixing. Nested large/fine motion systems. Induction heating of metal filled material. Liquid cooling. Liquid cooled and heated plate. Surface detail textures, fizzy, bumps, hairs.
Printer capabilities/materials aware modeling.
Slice/Cam/Process wizards. Settings search and download.
Nonflat layer slices. Auto selecting best slicer settings based on given time limits. Probe QC measurements of finished print. Repair directly on broken parts. Conversation mode printing. Lasers, freight lasers.

Computing power is cheap these days. But there has not been a marriage of capable controllers and this inexpensive computing power. It is about ease of use and available resources.

Having a dedicated computer host on the machine would bring 3D printing down to people that are not able (or do not think they are able) to use them right now.

Having onboard troubleshooting alone, a local pictorial guide to common print problems, would help ease of use. Plus a local manual for maintenance and setup would be great.

A simple 10" Z3537F 2GB 32GB storage Win10 tablet (mounted on a Printrbot Play) has allowed me to run CURA, Repetier, 3D Builder, Matter Control, Sketch up and Inkscape. Fusion 360 is a no go on this. Allows direct access to Thingiverse, Youmagine and other sites. Files can be brought to print without extracting. This Tablet is powered by the Printer PSU (through an LM2596) without the battery in the loop. It also allows file transfers through Windows network folders. Repetier server should also work well. Also supports Bluetooth devices without add on components.

Everyone that has used it likes the simplicity as compared to using a separated computer and printer. It allows the ability to make quick direct changes to print parameters without tying up the main computer during prints or having to leave the main computer up to finish long winded jobs.

Spring Steel PEI coated beds as a mandatory feature too