2 in 1 out - hotend config

Hi,

Im trying to get my “2 in 1 out” y splitter dual extruder system going and I looked around for the config of either diamond or cyclops (even though they are mixers they should be configured in a similar way) but didnt find an official way to do it.

I put in a 2nd extruder that works but the one post I found in the google group didnt recommend using a 2nd hotend module with the same pins as the first.

What would be the way to go here?

Cheers

Imported from wikidot

I am using a 2 in 1 out color system. I am using Repetier-Host to set up the colors. It also will install a purge and wipe area for the color changes. You need additional g code before and after each color change. I can share my set-up if you want.

Yes, that would be great. Ill just want to see the hotend part of you config.

and if you want to share you tool change script and explain why you choose ill be even happier :smiley:

I messaged you.

Not to revive this thread again but I’ve been searching the internet for help on this same issue. I’m upgrading my printer to a smoothieboard with a E3D cyclops hot end. I’m wondering if you can share the same tool change script with me. Im interested on how to set up the extruders to retract and then reprime the nozzle for each colour change… would really appreciate the help

I am in process of upgrading from Marlin to Smoothieware and could also use this information if you would not mind sharing.

When I tried to post a website, this forum would not let me, so I sent it via personal message.

Did you find the site???

I saw the site but it doesnt say anything about how its done in smoothie.

Marlin has a specific setting for it that smoothie doesnt have and other methods then two hotend modules with the same pins I dont know.

If you have two extruder motors and one hotend, then you set up one extruder module, and one hotend ( temperaturecontrol ) module, very simple.

Lots of people do it this way and it works fine.

ah ok, sounded too simple to work :smiley: but ill check it out

I set everything up like the prometheus page described and both extruders can be manually controlled in repetier host without a problem.

I just started a test print without filament and it looks like the printer is going through the motions correctly, so the simple two extruders, one hotend configuration seems to work.

P.S. repetier host stops the print before starting the first layer and becomes unresponsive when i print tethered, but the generated gcodes printing from SD works.

Are you using the purge trail? That is intended to help with forming the end on the withdrawn filament. I was quite impressed with the quality of my prints, but between the purge and wipe you scrap quite a little material.

No, I was hoping to avoid that. None of the other y splitter tutorials that I found use that.

But I was wondering about the cleanliness of the switch, I think it makes sense to not purge out to much and let the purge tower handle the last bit, because I dont want the over purged part randomly drip onto the bed.
It would be cool if the head moved behind the purge tower, so that all little material drops get caught by the tower. Then the tower would act a bit like a ooze shield. If the purge tower always stays in the same place one can set the switching park position manually in the tool change script.

I found the purge trail very helpful, but don’t use it if you don’t want to.

Helpful how? What issue did that fix for you?

My experience is that it reduces jamming in the “Y”. My first set-up used a Y that I printed and it jammed easily. The purge trail cured the jamming. It’s supposed to help form a smooth and blunt filament end on withdrawel. If you get stringing on the filament withdrawal, it will jamb the next time it is used.

Yes stringing is the biggest issue but i cant imagine how exactly the purge trail would help there.
I assumed that the purge trail was only there to catch oozed material.

I also tried different retraction methods like retract- push a little back - retract more but none of that made any difference.
Its all in the material. For my first tests im used petg that doesnt string naturally. Im also working on a drying/storing solution for PLA. My dry spools dont string while the older ones do.

Im was also thinking of also getting rid of the purge tower and just building a little scraper like the bcn sigma and the purging outside the bed and moving the nozzle over the scraper to get rid of the ooze.

The purge trail is a method of pushing filament through the hot end in a uniform and consistent manner, so when the withdrawal comes it is at a standard temperature. Then there is a small withdrawal and a pause for the end to cool slightly. Then the filament is withdrawn fully and a blunt end is what you will see if you stop there. I am able to print with abs, pla or petg, but petg gives me more problems than the other two. The Prometheus system works quite well, but if you want to design you own, feel free.

Creating a consistent withdrawal point, that makes sense, but Im hoping that the mechanism is robust enough to not need it.

On a different note: Do you know what the “retraction on extruder switch” setting in cura (in the “extrusion” tab) means?