Zeroing Tools on Changes So it occurred to me a really easy way to

Zeroing Tools on Changes

So it occurred to me a really easy way to zero my tools during a change was to get a knob (I have a ton of these I got during the RadioShack closings, but that’s another story) and use this small inner diameter and solid bottom to press up on the bits with just a small amount of friction applied as I tightened the chuck.

Doing this seems to make my zeros nice and repeatable on tool changes. Really any type of tube with a small ID and a nice thick wall so that it’s sturdy and flat and comes in clean contact with the bottom of the chuck would work.

When I insert the tools, I slightly less than finger tighten the bit, and leave it longer than the depth of the knob I’m using, then use the inside of the knob to press the bit up against the chuck and tighten it more before using the wrenches to secure it.

Just be sure not to have it too tight or else you might cause a slight indention on the inside of whatever your pressing it with, and that would change the depth from say a vbit to and endmill.

So is this a common technique? Any reason this isn’t a good idea? I really wish I had thought or read about this sooner, would have saved me a ton of time :slight_smile: Does this help you possibly too @Matt_Wheeler ?

The position of the collet is set by the collet nut. Different size collets and different size tools in the same collet will change this relationship.

ah, ok, so it only works for me probably since I’m using all 1/8" bits, but if I were to put a different size in there it might not work out as well?

Maybe add a picture, to help us understand your idea more easily?