Yet another failed surfacing project. So I learned a lesson about modeling.

Yet another failed surfacing project.

So I learned a lesson about modeling. The original model made rectangles starting in the center of the board. But what I didn’t realize, is that working area of the 3040 is not centered. In fact, there’s about 5.5" in the back (or most Y position) that can’t be reached. Which led to crashing when I started heading to Yxxx. So I reaccomplished the model and toolpath which you can see in the attached. My bit is a 1" surfacing bit. Feed => 100mm/min and Plunge => 50mm/min.

I ran that this morning and it went well until I got to line 54 (No GCode Pasted) which basically is the end of the 5th pass you can see from the center and to the right. When I came towards the end the router just bound up and stopped spinning. My guess the bed of the machine is sort of warped upward at this point. So I set the position back over to the start re-zeroed it out and proceeded back to line 54 and using the jog -Y slowly fed through it. Now my GCode is edited for a Feed => 80mm/min and Plunge => 20mm/min. So I will try to do this again this evening. More or less I am posting in case there is other folks just getting started as well. But would love the advice of the more seasoned vets around here.

missing/deleted image from Google+

Hearing that the router bound up and stopped spinning sure sounds whacked out. I’ve never seen that on my 3040 and I’ve pushed it to the end of the Y axis a lot. I think your theory of warped bed could be right.

I should buy one of those gauges. Don’t know the name but I’m curious to know how bad it’s bowed.

Sounds very odd. I don’t use a waste board or even a machine zero. Your speeds a very slow. It would many take hours at that rate just to mill a 50mm x 50mm x 2mm relief using the engraving bits.

I also added limit switches and I have marks for the addressable space for positioning work pieces.

I get pretty accurate results but it takes a lot of testing like here where the walnut does not hold detail but the maple does.

A dial indicator gauge is what you are talking about. @Clayton_Allen

@Steve_Anken I think this slow speed is needed for the surfacing bit.It’s 1" on the little 230W spindle. The chip load on the spec sheet said something to the tune of MAX 0.005 with my calculations I am pushing about 0.004 per tooth

You know I came up with an idea! Would it be a good idea to start like 2mm above the spoil board and step down.5mm every pass? Would this help me find all the warpage? I’ve had a few more crashes today. It looks like I have a pretty warped machine.

I’d replace that bed if I were you. Or get a straight edge the size of the bed and see if it rocks. Taking 6mm off a board seems a lot.